The referrer variable overrides the automatically collected referrer in reports. This variable is helpful in situations where the referrer might be lost, such as during redirects or temporarily forwarding the visitor to a payment processor. This variable helps populate the 'Referrer' and 'Referring Domain' dimensions.
Referrer in Adobe Experience Platform Launch
You can set referrer either while configuring the Analytics extension (global variables) or under rules.
- Log in to launch.adobe.com using your AdobeID credentials.
- Click the desired property.
- Go to the Rules tab, then click the desired rule (or create a rule).
- Under Actions, click an existing Adobe Analytics - Set Variables action or click the '+' icon.
- Set the Extension dropdown to Adobe Analytics, and the Action Type to Set Variables.
- Locate the Referrer section.
You can set referrer to any string value, including data elements.
s.referrer in AppMeasurement and Launch custom code editor
The s.referrer variable is a string containing the URL of the previous page. This variable can store a maximum of 255 bytes; values larger than 255 bytes are truncated. AppMeasurement automatically sets this variable to document.referrer ; you do not need to set this variable unless you want to override the automatically collected value.
s.referrer = "https://example.com";
Avoid setting this variable to non-URL values.
Many organizations deal with implementations around redirects. You can use the getQueryParam utility to obtain referrer from the URL if your site accommodates it. Make sure that you URL encode any values included in the query string.
// Example if the URL is https://example.com?r=https%3A%2F%2Fexample.org s.referrer = s.Util.getQueryParam("r");