Prerequisites and Considerations
This article contains product documentation meant to guide you through the setup and usage of this feature. Nothing contained herein is legal advice. Please consult your own legal counsel for legal guidance.
Read below for an overview of customer requirements that you need to meet before signing up for People-Based Destinations.
Read through this article carefully before moving on to the implementation phase.
Signing up for People-Based Destinations
People-Based Destinations is a premium capability that enhances your Audience Manager experience by allowing you to activate your first-party audience segments in people-based environments, by targeting your audience with customized offers on social networks or through email marketing.
Please contact your Adobe representative to take advantage of this premium feature.
Before you can use People-Based Destinations to send your first-party audience segments to Facebook, make sure you meet the following requirements:
- Your Facebook user account must have the Manage campaigns permission enabled for the Ad account that you plan to use.
- Add the Adobe Experience Cloud business account as an advertising partner in your Facebook Ad Account. Use business ID=206617933627973 . See Add Partners to Your Business Manager for details.When configuring the permissions for Adobe Experience Cloud, you must enable the Manage campaigns permission. This is required for the People-Based Destinations integration.
- Read and sign the Facebook Custom Audiences Terms of Service. To do this, go to https://business.facebook.com/ads/manage/customaudiences/tos/?act=[accountID] , where accountID is your Facebook Ad Account ID.
Data ingestion for People-Based Destinations currently supports up to 10 hashed email addresses linked to one customer ID (CRM ID), per batch transfer. Uploading more than 10 hashed email addresses linked to one customer ID causes Audience Manager to ingest 10 of them, in no specific order.
Uploading more than 10 hashed email addresses linked to one customer ID in multiple batch transfers causes Audience Manager to retain the most recent 10 email addresses added.
Although People-Based Destinations allow you to target audiences based on hashed email addresses uploaded by you, you remain prohibited from uploading any directly identifiable visitor information into Audience Manager. In the data onboarding phase, you must ensure that the email addresses you plan to use are hashed with the SHA256 algorithm. Otherwise, you won't be able to use them in People-Based Destinations.
Data Hashing Versus Encryption
Encryption is a two-way function. Any encrypted information can also be decrypted, using the correct decryption key. Encrypting data in the context of Audience Manager poses serious risks, since any encrypted form of personally identifiable information can also be decrypted. As opposed to encryption, People-Based Destinations are designed to work with hashed data instead.
Hashing is a one-way function that scrambles the input to produce a unique result. By using proper hashing algorithms, like SHA256, there is no way to reverse the hashing function and reveal the unscrambled information. The email addresses that you will onboard to Audience Manager must be hashed with the SHA256 algorithm. This way, you can ensure that no unhashed email addresses reach Audience Manager.
When hashing the email addresses, make sure to comply with the following requirements:
- When hashing the email strings, make sure to hash the lowercase string;
- Make sure the hashed string is all lowercase
- Example: 55e79200c1635b37ad31a378c39feb12f120f116625093a19bc32fff15041149 , not 55E79200C1635B37AD31A378C39FEB12F120F116625093A19bC32FFF15041149 ;
- Do not salt the string.
Watch the video below to understand the hashing requirements of People-Based Destinations.
Adobe Experience Cloud gives you the option to hash customer IDs through the Adobe Experience Platform Identity Service. See SHA256 Hashing Support for setCustomerIDs for detailed information on how to use ECID to hash customer IDs.
Obtaining User Permission
Since People-Based Destinations helps you activate first-party audience data in people-based channels, it is your responsibility to inform and obtain any necessary consents from your customers of how you will use their data for advertising or other purposes.
Before you sign up for People-Based Destinations, make sure to obtain your customers' consent before using their information for advertising purposes.
In case your customers wish to opt-out of advertising campaigns, see Opt-out Management for details on how to stop Audience Manager from collecting data any further.
Enforcing First-Party Data Activation
When using People-Based Destinations, you can only use first-party data to activate audience segments in people-based channels. You cannot use any second- or third-party data for audience activation in people-based channels.
When using People-Based Destinations, use Data Export Controls to label your data sources and destinations according to the guidelines and requirements from destination platforms and data providers.
Onboard Authenticated Hashed IDs through Declared ID Targeting
There are two ways you can bring your offline data to Audience Manager for People-Based Destinations.
- Use Declared IDs to declare hashed email addresses when passing in authenticated customer IDs. When using this method, Audience Manager, on your behalf, only sends to People-Based Destinations the hashed email addresses from users who have authenticated online. The email addresses activated through people-based channels are only the ones in the declared ID event calls. Other email addresses associated with the customer ID are not sent in real-time.