Getting Started With Bulk Management
The Bulk Management Tools let you create and manage multiple objects at once with a single operation. You can use Bulk Management Tools to work with data sources, derived signals, destinations, folders, models, segments, and traits.
RBAC group permissions assigned in the Audience Manager user interface are honored in the Bulk Management Tools.
This feature uses a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet with macros that make secure, authenticated calls to the Audience Manager APIs. The API provides the methods and services that let you make changes in bulk. You don't have to know how to code or work with our APIs to use it. The worksheet contains column headers and tabs that perform specific bulk change functions. To make bulk changes, all you do is add the pre-defined headers to specific worksheets, provide the information you want to change in bulk, and click an action button. The worksheet and the APIs do the rest of the work for you.
Download the latest worksheet here .
To use the Bulk Management Tools, you need the following:
- Your Experience Cloud login. As a customer, you should already have these credentials.
- The Bulk Management Tools worksheet. Download the worksheet to get the latest version.
- Microsoft Excel running on macOS or 64-bit Microsoft Windows. We recommend you use the latest version of Microsoft Excel.
- When opening the worksheet, you must Enable Macros for the Bulk Management Tools to work.
Authentication requirements and options
Bulk changes require authentication. Before making any action, you must log in. Because the worksheet makes API calls, you need to configure it to authenticate into your user account.
API authentication requirements
The second version of the Bulk Management Tools, released in October 2019, simplifies the authentication process. The authentication steps in this version are outlined below:
- Open the spreadsheet and navigate to the Config sheet.
- Follow the steps outlined in the sheet.
- After completing the steps, you are authorized to make bulk changes.
When making bulk changes, you'll still have to confirm that you are authorized to make the changes, but API authentication is automatic.
Domain authentication options
Domain authentication gives you the option to test bulk requests or apply them directly to your production account. Making bulk changes to the beta environment won't affect your production account. Production changes are effective immediately. The bulk management sheet allows you to work in the following environments:
Actions and operations
The Bulk Management Tools worksheet consists of authentication buttons, action tabs, action buttons, and a Headers tab. The Headers tab contains the pre-formatted column headers used by the action tabs. The action tabs contain macros that perform your selected bulk operation. To perform a bulk operation, you copy a set of headers into the appropriate action tab, enter header data, and click an action button.
After authenticating , click an action button to get started.
The table below lists the operations you can perform and items you can manipulate with the Bulk Management Tools worksheets.
Bulk actions appear in tabs at the bottom of the worksheet and include:
The objects you can change in bulk are located under the Headers tab and include:
Bulk operation example
As an example, let's take a look at how to create multiple traits at one time. To create multiple traits in a bulk operation you would:
- Click the Headers tab and copy all the labels under the Create a Trait option.
- Click the Create tab and paste the labels starting in row 1, column A.
- Provide information related to each column header and click Create Traits . This action prompts you to confirm your authentication. Your bulk job runs after you confirm your authentication. Check the lower left corner of the worksheet for a job status notification.
When working with large requests, the worksheet might become unresponsive and appear to be inactive. In these cases, just leave it alone. The worksheet will become responsive when the bulk request is complete. If the worksheet does not respond for a long period of time, see the troubleshooting section .