How to use workflow data
Updating the database
All collected data can be used to update the database, or in deliveries. For example, you can enrich message content personalization possibilities (include the number of contracts in the message, specify the average shopping cart over the last year, etc.) or detail population targeting (send a message to contract co-holders, target the 1,000 best subscribers to online services, etc.). This data can also be exported or archived in a list.
Lists and direct updates
The data of the Adobe Campaign database and the existing lists can be updated using two dedicated activities:
- The List update activity lets you store worktables in a datalist.You can select an existing list or create it. In this case, the name and possibly the record folder are computed.Refer to List update .
- The Update data activity performs a mass update of the fields in the database.For more on this, refer to Update data .
To find out about subscribing and unsubscribing recipients to an information service via a workflow, refer to Subscription Services .
Sending via a workflow
The delivery activity is detailed in Delivery .
Enriching and targeting deliveries
Deliveries can process data from workflows in order to customize content or within the framework of target population selection.
For example, within the framework of a direct mail delivery, you can include the additional data, taken from data manipulation carried out in the workflow, in the extraction file:
In addition to the usual personalization fields, you can add personalization fields from workflow stages to the delivery content. The additional data defined in the workflow activities can be kept and made accessible in the delivery wizard, as shown in the example below, for defining the name of the output file within the framework of direct mail delivery:
The data contained in the workflow table is identified by its name: it is always made up of the targetData link. For more on this, refer to Target data .
Within the framework of email delivery, personalization fields can also use data from target extension performed in the targeting workflow stages, as shown in the example below:
If a segment code is specified in a targeting activity, it is added to a specific column of the workflow table and will be offered along with the personalization fields. To display all personalization fields, click the Target extension > Other... link accessible via the personalization button.
Zipping or encrypting a file
Adobe Campaign lets you export zipped or encrypted files. When defining an export through a Data extraction (file) activity, you can define a post-processing to zip or to encrypt the file.
To be able to do so:
- Install a GPG key pair for your instance using the Control Panel .Control Panel is available to all customers hosted on AWS (excepted for customers who host their marketing instances on premise).
- If your installation of Adobe Campaign is hosted by Adobe, contact Adobe Customer Care to have the necessary utilities installed on the server.
- If your installation of Adobe Campaign is on premise, install the utility you want to use (for example: GPG, GZIP) as well as the necessary keys (encryption key) on the application server.
Use case: Encrypting and exporting data using a key installed on Control Panel
In this use case, we will build a workflow in order to encrypt and export data using a key installed on Control Panel.
A tutorial video showing how to use a GPG key to encrypt data is also available in this section .
The steps to perform this use case are as follows:
- Generate a GPG key pair (public/private) using a GPG utility, then install the public key onto Control Panel. Detailed steps are available in Control Panel documentation .
- In Campaign Classic, build a workflow to export the data and export it using the private key that has been installed via the Control Panel. To do this, we will build a workflow as follows:
- Query activity: In this example, we want to execute a query to target the data from the database that we want to export.
- Data extraction (file) activity: Extracts the data into a file.
- File transfer activity: Sends the data to an external source (in this example, an SFTP server).
- Configure the Query activity to target the desired data from the database. For more on this, refer to this section .
- Open the Data extraction (file) activity then configure it according to your needs. Global concepts on how to configure the activity are available in this section .
var cmd='gpg '; cmd += ' --trust-model always'; cmd += ' --batch -yes'; cmd += ' --recipient fingerprint'; cmd += ' --encrypt --output ' + vars.filename + '.gpg ' + vars.filename; execCommand(cmd,true); vars.filename=vars.filename + '.gpg'
- Open the File transfer activity, then specify the SFTP server to which you want to send the file. Global concepts on how to configure the activity are available in this section .
- You can now run the workflow. Once it is executed, data target by the query will be exported to the SFTP server into an encrypted .gpg file.