Defining interactive content
Adobe Campaign enables you to try the new interactive AMP for Email format, which enables to send dynamic emails, under certain conditions.
- This feature is a beta capability in Adobe Campaign.
- AMP for Email is a new open source format that enables developers to create dynamic and interactive emails. Currently it is supported by a few email providers: Gmail, Outlook and Mail.ru.
Currently, you can only:
- Test delivering AMP emails to specific addresses appropriately configured.
- Deliver AMP emails to Gmail, Outlook or Mail.ru addresses after registering with the corresponding providers.
For more on testing and sending AMP emails, see Targeting an AMP email .
This feature is available through a dedicated package in Adobe Campaign. To use it, this package must be installed. Once done, restart the server for the package to be taken into account.
For hybrid and hosted architectures, the package needs to be installed on all servers, including the mid-sourcing server and the execution instance . Contact your account executive.
Watch this video to see how to activate AMP in Adobe Campaign and learn about the usage.
About AMP for Email
The AMP for Email new format enables to include AMP components inside messages to enhance the email experience with rich and actionable content. With modern app functionality directly available within emails, recipients can interact dynamically with content in the message itself.
- Emails written with AMP can contain interactive elements such as image carousels.
- Content stays up-to-date in the message.
- Recipients can take action like responding to a form without leaving their inbox.
AMP for Email is compatible with existing emails. The AMP version of the message is embedded into the email as a new MIME part, in addition to the HTML and/or plain text, ensuring compatibility across all email clients.
For more on the AMP for Email format, specification and requirements, see the AMP developer documentation .
Key steps to use AMP for Email with Adobe Campaign
To successfully test and send an AMP email with Adobe Campaign, follow the steps below:
- Install the AMP support (Beta) package. See Installing Campaign standard packages .
- Create an email and build your AMP content within Adobe Campaign. See Build AMP email content with Adobe Campaign .
- Make sure you follow all the delivery requirements from the email providers supporting the AMP format. See AMP for Email delivery requirements .AMP for Email is available as a beta capability for testing purpose. Currently only a few email providers support testing this format.
- When defining your target, make sure you select recipients that will be able to display the AMP format. See Targeting an AMP email .Currently you can only test delivering AMP emails to specific email addresses appropriately configured or after registration with the email providers participating in the AMP beta program.
- Send your email as you would usually do. See Sending an AMP email .
Building AMP email content in Adobe Campaign
To build an email using the AMP format, follow the steps below.
- When creating your email delivery, select any template.A specific AMP template contains an example of the main capacities you can use: product listing, carousel, double opt-in, survey and advanced server request.
- Click the AMP content tab.
- Edit the AMP content to suit your needs.For more on building your first AMP email, see the AMP developer documentation .For example, you can use the product list component from the AMP template and maintain a list of products from a third-party system, or even inside Adobe Campaign. Whenever you adjust a price or another element, it will be automatically reflected when the recipient opens again the email from their mailbox.
- Personalize your AMP content as needed, as you would usually do with HTML format in Adobe Campaign, with personalization fields and personalization blocks.
- Once done with editing, select your whole AMP content and copy-paste it into the AMP web-based validator or a similar website.Make sure you select AMP4 EMAIL from the drop-down list on top of the screen.Any errors will be flagged inline.The Adobe Campaign AMP editor is not designed for content validation. Use an external website such as the AMP web-based validator to check your content is correct.
- Make amendments as needed until the AMP content passes validation.
- Copy-paste your validated content into AMP Playground or a similar website to preview your content.Make sure you select AMP for Email from the drop-down list on top of the screen.You cannot preview your AMP content directly in Adobe Campaign. Use an external website such as AMP Playground .
- Go back to Adobe Campaign and copy-paste your validated content into the AMP content tab.
- Switch to the HTML content or Text content tab and define content for at least one of these two formats.If your email does not contain an HTML or plain text version in addition to the AMP content, it cannot be sent.
AMP for Email delivery requirements
When building your AMP content in Adobe Campaign, you must comply with the conditions for a dynamic email to be delivered, which are specific to your recipients' email providers.
Currently three email providers support testing this format: Gmail, Outlook and Mail.ru.
All the steps and specifications required to test delivery with AMP format on Gmail accounts are detailed in the corresponding Gmail , Outlook and Mail.ru developer documentations.
In particular, the following requirements must be met:
- The AMP MIME part must contain a valid AMP document .
- The AMP MIME part must be smaller than 100KB.
Targeting an AMP email
AMP for Email being available as a beta capability, currently you can experiment sending an AMP email in two steps:
- Adobe Campaign enables you to test delivering an AMP-powered dynamic email to selected email addresses appropriately configured, in order to verify its contents and behavior. See Testing AMP email delivery for selected addresses .
- Once tested, you can send a delivery or a campaign as part of the AMP for Email beta program by registering with the relevant email provider(s) to have your sender domain whitelisted. See Delivering AMP emails by registering with an email provider .
Testing AMP email delivery for selected addresses
You can test sending dynamic messages from Adobe Campaign to selected email addresses.
Currently only Gmail, Outlook and Mail.ru support testing the AMP format.
For Gmail and Outlook, you must first whitelist the sender address(es) you are using to deliver from Adobe Campaign for the Gmail and Outlook accounts you are targeting.
To do this:
- Make sure the option enabling dynamic email is checked for the relevant email provider(s).
- Copy the sender address displayed in the delivery's From field and paste it into your email provider account settings' appropriate section.
To test sending an AMP email to a Mail.ru address, follow the steps from the Mail.ru developer documentation ( If you are a user section).
Delivering AMP emails by registering with an email provider
You can experiment delivering dynamic emails by registering with the email providers that take part to the AMP beta program in order to have your sender domain whitelisted.
Currently only Gmail, Outlook and Mail.ru support the AMP format.
Once tested with a few addresses, you can send AMP emails to any Gmail or Outlook address. To do this, you must respectfully register with Google or Microsoft, and await their answer. Follow the steps presented in the Gmail and Outlook developer documentations. After successful registration, you become an authorized sender.
To send AMP emails to Mail.ru addresses, follow the requirements and steps listed in the Mail.ru developer documentation ( If you are an Email sender section).
Sending an AMP email
Once your AMP content and fallback are ready, and once you defined a compatible target, you can send the email as you would normally do.
Currently only Gmail, Outlook and Mail.ru support the AMP format, under certain conditions. You can target addresses from other email providers, but they will receive the HTML or plain text version of your email.
If your email does not contain an HTML or plain text version in addition to the AMP content, it cannot be sent.
The matching recipients will have the AMP version of the email displayed in their mailbox.
For example, if you included a product list in your email, when editing the prices in a third-party system, the prices will be automatically adjusted each time your recipients open the email again in their mailbox.
You can create a mail processing rule to prevent specific domains from receiving AMP emails. See Managing email formats .
By default the AMP inclusion option is set to No .