Configuring the resource's data structure
After creating a new custom resource, you must configure the data structure.
When editing the resource, in the
Data structuretab, you can add:
Adding fields to a resource
You can add new fields to a resource to store data that are not part of the out of the box data model.
- Use theCreate elementbutton to create a field.
- Specify a label, an ID, a field type, and define the maximum length authorized for this field.TheIDfield is mandatory and must be unique for each field added.If you leave theLabelfield empty, it will automatically be completed from the ID. We recommend using 30 characters maximum.
- To modify one of the fields, check theEdit Propertiesbutton.
- In theField definitionscreen, you can define a category that will be used for the audience and targeting, or even add a description.
- Check theSpecify a list of authorized valuesoption if you need to define values that will be offered to the user (enumeration values).Then, clickCreate elementand specify aLabelandValue. Add as many values as needed.
- Once you have added your fields, check theAdd audit fieldsbox to include fields detailing the creation date, the user that created the resource, the date, and the author of the last modification.
- Check theAdd access authorization management fieldsbox to include the fields stating who has access rights to that particular resource.These fields appear in the data and metadata that can be displayed once the database update has been carried out. For more on this, refer to the Updating the database structure section.
- Check theAdd automatic IDfield to automatically generate an ID. Please note that existing entities will remain empty.
- To modify the way in which the name of the resource elements will appear in the lists and creation steps, check thePersonalize the resource titlebox. Select a field from those you created for this resource.
The fields of your resource are now defined.
Defining identification keys
Each resource must have at least one unique key. For example, you can specify a key so that two products cannot have the same ID in a purchase table.
- Specify it in theAutomatic primary keysection the size for the storage if you would like to have a technical key automatically and incrementally generated.
- Use theCreate elementbutton to create a key.TheLabelandIDfields are completed by default but you can edit them.We recommend using 30 characters maximum.
- To define the elements making up this key, clickCreate elementand select the fields that you created for this resource.Created keys are displayed in theCustom keyssection.
Your identification keys for the resource are now created.
An index can reference one or several resource fields. Indexes allow the database to sort records in order to recover them more easily. They optimize the performances of SQL queries.
Defining indexes is recommended but not mandatory.
- Use theCreate elementbutton to create an index.
- TheLabelandIDfields are completed by default, but you can edit them.We recommend using 30 characters maximum.
- To define the elements making up this index, select the fields from those that you created for this resource.
The indexes that were created appear in the list in the
Defining sending logs extension
The sending log extension allows you:
- to extend dynamic report capabilities byadding profile custom fields
- to extend the sending logs data withsegment code and profile data
Extend with a segment code
The user can extend the logs with the segment code coming from the workflow engine.
The segment code must be defined into the workflow.
To activate this extension, check the option
Add segment code.
For more information on segment code, refer to the Segmentation section.
Extend with a profile field
The administrator should have extended the Profile resource with a custom field.
Add fieldand select any custom field from the profile resource.
In order to generate a new sub-dimension linked to the Profile dimension, check the
Add this field in Dynamic reporting as a new dimensionoption.
From Dynamic Reporting, you can drag and drop the custom field dimension into a freeform table.
For more information on Dynamic Reporting, refer to the List of components .
The number of fields sent to Dynamic Reporting is limited to 20.
Editing resource properties
In the custom resource screen, the
Summarypane indicates the status of the newly created resource. You can manage its access and its general properties.
- Click theEdit propertiesbutton to add a description.
- If needed, modify the label and ID of the resource.We recommend using 30 characters maximum.
- If you need to restrict the access to this resource to certain organizational units, specify them here. Only users from authorized units will be able to work with this resource in the application.
- Save the modifications.
Your modifications are saved. You need to publish the resource again to apply them.
Generating a unique ID for profiles and custom resources
By default, profiles and custom resources have no business ID when they are created. You can enable an option that generates automatically a unique ID when elements are created. This ID can be used to:
- Identify exported records easily in an external tool.
- Reconcile records when importing updated data processed in another application.
It can be enabled for profiles and custom resources only.
- Create an extension to the profiles resource or create a new resource.
- In the data structure definition, check theAdd automatic ID fieldoption, under theFieldssection.
- Save and publish the modification made to the resource. If you want this mechanism to apply for elements created via the API, check the option to extend the API.
ACS IDfield is now available and automatically populated when new elements are created manually, from the API, or inserted from an import workflow. The ACS ID field is a UUID field and is indexed.
When exporting profiles or custom resources, you can now add the
ACS IDcolumn if it has been enabled for that resource. You can reuse this ID in your external tools to identify records.
When re-importing data that have been processed/updated in another application (for example a CRM), you can reconcile it easily with this unique ID.
ACS IDfield is not updated for profiles or elements created before activating the option. Only new records will have an ACS ID. This field is in read-only mode. You cannot modify it.