Push notification delivery
The Push notification activity allows you to configure sending a push notification in a workflow. This can be a single send notification and sent just once, or it can be a recurring notification.
Single send notifications are standard mobile app push notification deliveries, sent once.
Recurring notifications allow you to send the same mobile app push notification delivery multiple times to different targets over a defined period. You can aggregate the deliveries per period in order to get reports that correspond to your needs.
Context of use
The Push notification activity is generally used to automate sending a notification to a target calculated in the same workflow.
When linked to a scheduler, you can define recurring push notifications.
The recipients are defined upstream of the activity in the same workflow, via targeting activities such as queries, intersections, etc.
The message preparation is triggered according to the workflow execution parameters. From the message dashboard, you can select whether to request or not a manual confirmation to send the message (required by default). You can start the workflow manually or place a scheduler activity in the workflow to automate execution.
- Drag and drop a Push notification activity into your workflow.
- Select the activity, then open it using the button from the quick actions that appear.You can access the general properties and advanced options of the activity (and not of the delivery itself) via the button from the activity's quick actions. This button is specific to the Push notification activity. The push notification's properties can be accessed via the action bar in the push dashboard.
- Select the push notification send mode:
- Single notification : the push notification is sent a single time. You can specify here whether or not you would like to add an outbound transition to the activity. The different transition types are detailed in step 7 of this procedure.
- Recurring notification : the push notification is sent several times, according to the frequency defined in a Scheduler activity. Select the aggregation period of the sends. This allows you to regroup all the sends that occur during the defined period in one single push notification that is also called recurring execution and can be accessed from the application's marketing activity list.For example, for a recurring birthday notification, that is sent daily, you can choose to aggregate the sends per month. This allows you to receive reports on your delivery on a monthly basis although the notification is sent every day.
- Select a notification type. These types come from push notifications templates defined in the Resources > Templates > Delivery templates menu.
- Enter the general properties for the push notification. You can also attach it to an existing campaign. The label of the workflow's delivery activity is updated with the push notification label.
- Define the push notification content. See Creating a push notification
- By default, the Push notification activity does not include any outbound transitions. If you would like to add an outbound transition to your Push Notification activity, go to the General tab of the advanced activity options ( button in the activity's quick actions) then check one of the following options:
- Add outbound transition without the population : this lets you generate an outbound transition that contains the exact same population as the inbound transition.
- Add outbound transition with the population : this lets you generate an outbound transition containing the population to whom the notification was sent. The members of the target excluded during the delivery preparation are excluded from this transition.
- Confirm the configuration of your activity and save your workflow.
When you reopen the activity, you are taken directly to the push notification dashboard. Only its content can be edited.
By default, starting a delivery workflow only triggers the message preparation. The sending of messages created from a workflow still needs to be confirmed after the workflow has been started. But from the message dashboard, and only if the message was created from a workflow, you can disable the Request confirmation before sending messages option. By unchecking this option, messages are sent without further notice once the preparation is done.
The deliveries created within a workflow can be accessed in the application's marketing activity list. You can view the workflow's execution status using the dashboard. Links in the push notification summary pane allow you to directly access linked elements (workflow, campaign, etc.).
In the parent deliveries, which can be accessed from the marketing activity list, you can view the total number of sends that have been processed (according to the aggregation period specified when the Push notification activity was configured). To do this, open the detail view of the parent delivery's Deployment block by selecting .