Segmentationactivity lets you create one or several segments from a population calculated by activities placed earlier in the workflow. At the end of the activity, they can be processed in one single transition or different transitions.
By default, a member of the inbound population can only belong to one single segment. The filters are applied according to the order of the segments in the activity.
Context of use
Segmentationactivity is generally placed after targeting activities (query, intersection, union, exclusion, etc.) in order to define the standard population based on which the segments are formed.
- Drag and drop aSegmentationactivity into your workflow.
- Select the activity, then open it using the button from the quick actions that appear.
- Select theResource typeon which the segmentation has to be carried out:
- Database resourceif the segmentation is carried out on data that already exists in the database. Select theFiltering dimensiondepending on the data that you want to segment. By default, segmentation is carried out on theprofiles.
- Temporary resourceif the segmentation is carried out on the workflow's temporary data: select theTargeted setcontaining the data to segment. This use case can be encountered after importing a file or if the data in the database was enriched.
- Select the outbound transition type that you would like to use:
- Generate one transition per segment: one outbound transition is added for each configured segment at the end of the activity.
- Generate all segments in one transition: all configured segments are regrouped into one single outbound transition. Specify the transition label. The members of each segment keep the segment code that has been assigned to them.
- Add a segment by using the orAdd an elementbutton and specify the standard properties:
- Do not activate the transition if the population is empty: the segment will only be enabled if data is retrieved.
- Filter initial population (query): lets you filter this segment's population.
- Limit segment population: lets you limit the segment size.
- Filter and limit segment population: lets you filter the segment population and limit its size.
- Label: segment label.
- Exclude segment from population: lets you exclude the specified segment from the outbound population of the activity. This option can only be used if theGenerate all segments in the same transitionoption is selected.
- Open the detail view of the segment to access the latter's configuration options. To do this, check the relevant box in the activity's segment list, then select .
- If the option to filter the initial population is checked, open theFiltertab and specify your segment's population. The filters are based on the filtering dimension selected in step 4. Consult the Query editing section for further information on population filtering.If the segmentation is carried out on a temporary resource, the count and preview of the population are not available in this tab.
- If the option to limit the segment size is checked, open theLimitationtab.First, select theType of limitthat you would like to use:
Now specify the sizeLimitof the segment:
- Random sampling: the segment population is selected randomly taking into account the configuration of theFiltertab, if necessary.
- Ordered sampling: the segment population is selected in an ordered way. You must consequently specify the columns to be taken into account and the type of sorting to be applied. For example, if you select theAgefield as the sort column while applying aDescending sortand setting a limit of 100, only the profiles of the top 100 oldest people will be kept.
- Size (as a % of the initial population): specify the segment size by using a percentage of the activity's initial population.
- Maximum size: specify a maximum number of members for the segment population.
- By data grouping: you can limit the segment population according to the values of a specific field of the inbound population. Select the field for grouping, then specify the values to be used.
- By data grouping (as a %): you can limit the segment population according to the values of a specific inbound population field by using a percentage. Select the field to apply the grouping, then specify the values to be used.Different limitations for each value can be used. For example, you can specify a grouping for theGenderfield and limit the population withMalemembers to 10 and the population withFemalemembers to 30 people. If you use several data grouping fields, all the groupings have to have the same size.
- Confirm the configuration of your segment.
- Add as many segments as necessary by repeating steps 6 to 10 of this procedure.
- If necessary, edit the parameters in theAdvanced optionstab:
- Check theEnable overlapping of outbound populationsoption if you want a member of the inbound population to belong to several segments at the same time. The activity's outbound population may exceed the inbound population.
- Check theConcatenate the code of each segmentoption if the inbound population has already been assigned a segment code that you want to keep. The segment code specified in the activity will be added to the initial segment code.
- Check theGenerate complementoption if you would like to exploit the remaining population.
- Confirm the configuration of your activity and save your workflow.
The following example shows a segmentation of database profiles according to their age group. The aim of the workflow is to send a specific email for each age group. Considering the fact that this workflow is part of a test campaign, each segment can only contain a maximum of 100 profiles that are selected randomly in order to use audiences that are limited and representative at the same time.
The workflow is made up of the following elements:
- ASegmentationactivity to create 3 segments divided into different outbound transitions: 18-25-year old, 26-32-year old and profiles that are over 32 years old. The segments are defined according to the following parameters:
- A filter on the age to define the segment's age group
- ARandom samplingtype limit that is linked to aMaximum sizelimit of 100