External signal and data import
The following example illustrates the External signal activity in a typical use case. A data import is performed in a source workflow. Once the import is done and the database updated, a second workflow is triggered. This second workflow is used to update an aggregate on the imported data.
The source workflow is presented as follows:
- A Load file activity uploads a file containing new purchase data. Note that the database has been extended accordingly as purchase data are not present by default in the datamart.For example:
tcode;tdate;customer;product;tamount aze123;21/05/2015;email@example.com;A2;799 aze124;28/05/2015;firstname.lastname@example.org;A7;8 aze125;31/07/2015;email@example.com;A7;8 aze126;14/12/2015;firstname.lastname@example.org;A10;4 aze127;02/01/2016;email@example.com;A3;79 aze128;04/03/2016;firstname.lastname@example.org;A8;149
- A Reconciliation activity creates the links between the imported data and the database so that the transactions data are properly connected to profiles and products.
- An Update data activity inserts and updates the Transactions resource of the database with the incoming data.
- An End activity triggers the destination workflow, which is used to update aggregates.
The destination workflow is presented as follows:
- An External signal activity waits for the source workflow to be successfully finished.
- A Query activity targets profiles and enrich them with a collection set to retrieve the last purchase date.
- An Update data activity stores the additional data in a dedicated custom field. Note that the profile resource has been extended to add the Last purchase date field.