Configure a callout
Callouts bring attention to a particular dimension element by creating a new visualization with a virtual selection of a particular dimension element in a visualization.
You can add or edit callouts by configuring the callout files stored in a Profiles*profile name*\Context\Callout folder of the Server installation folder. Callouts that bring attention to a particular metric in a worksheet visualization are called metric callouts. Metric callout files are stored in the Profiles*profile name*\Context\Metric Callout folder.
For instructions to add a callout or metric callout to a visualization, see Adding Callouts to a Workspace .
To create a new type of callout
- In any workspace, create a visualization containing the data that you want to appear in the new callout type. For example, if you want your callout to be a table, you create a table visualization showing the desired metric and dimension.
- Right-click the top border of the callout window and click Save .
- In the Save window, click , double-click Context , then double-click Callout . In the File Name field, type a name for the file and click Save . The callout file is saved to the User*working profile name*\Context\Callout folder.When naming your callout, choose a descriptive name that reflects the visualization type and the metric and dimension that it shows. For example, if you want to create a callout from a table visualization showing the Sessions metric over the Day dimension, you could name the callout “Sessions by Day Table.”
- (Optional) To make this change available to all users of the working profile:
- In the Profile Manager, click Context , then click Callout . This folder contains all of the visualization files ( .vw) that define the existing callout types.
- Right-click the check mark next to the file name of the new callout in the User column and click Save to > < working profile name > .
To change a callout to a metric callout
- Right-click the check mark next to the file name of the type of callout that you want to change and click Make Local . After the file has been downloaded to the local computer, a check mark appears in the User column.
- Right-click the check mark next to the file name in the User column and click Open > In Notepad .
- Locate the metric_y = ref: entry in the callout file and replace the existing value with the word Metric. The highlighted text in following file fragment shows where you insert this word.
window = simpleBorderWindow: client = graph: bars = bool: true dim_x = ref: wdata/model/dim/dimension name lines = bool: false metrics = vector: 1 items 0 = gr_metric: metric_y = ref: Metric yaxis = axisLegend: max_value = double: maximum y-value min_value = double: minimum y-value zoom_max = double: maximum y-zoom zoom_min = double: minimum y-zoom . . .
- Click File > Save As . In the Save As window, click once, then double-click Metric Callout . In the File Name field, type a name for the file and click Save . The metric callout file is saved to the User*working profile name*\Context\Metric Callout folder.
- (Optional) To make this metric callout available to all users of the working profile, in the Profile Manager, right-click the check mark next to the file name in the User column and click Save to > < working profile name > .