Configure a process map
Process maps can be configured to work with any combination of base dimension, group dimension, level dimension, and metric that makes sense for your application and dataset.
After you configure a process map, it is listed with other process maps in the Add Visualization menu.
- In the Profile Manager, click Menu , click Add Visualization , then click the type of process map type that you want to configure (2D Metric Map, 2D Process Map, or 3D Process Map).At least one *.vw file resides in the directory.
- Right-click the check mark for the desired file and click Make Local .
- Right-click the check mark for the file in the User column and click Open > in Notepad .
- Edit the parameters of the file using the following sample file and table as guides:
window = simpleBorderWindow: client = processMap: Traffic Metric = ref: wdata/model/metric/metric name center = v3d: (-0.741014, 0, 0.0639476) color_links = bool: true Map = PrefixDim: Name = string: Map Base Dimension = ref: wdata/model/dim/base dimension name Element Prefixes = vector: 0 items Element Names = vector: 0 items Map Level = ref: wdata/model/dim/level dimension name Map Group = ref: wdata/model/dim/group dimension name node_label = vector<bool>: node_positions = vector: 0 items quantify_links = int: 2 range = double: 2.37386 size = v3d: (430, 290, 0) xAxisMetric = ref: wdata/model/metric/metric name for metric map pos = v3d: (880, 595, 0) size = v3d: (430, 309, 0)
|For this parameter...||Provide this information...|
The name of the metric whose value for a given node is proportional to the size of the node.
Base dimension name
The name of the dimension whose elements appear as nodes on the process map.
Level dimension name
The name of the level (parent) of the base dimension whose elements you drag to the process map.
Group dimension name
The name of the dimension that determines how the elements of the level dimension are grouped to form the connections between nodes. A connection between two nodes cannot span more than one element of a group dimension. When you make a selection based on a node within a process map, you are selecting all of the elements of the group dimension that involved that node.
Metric name for metric map
This parameter applies to 2D metric maps only.
The name of the metric whose value determines the horizontal position of the nodes on the map.
For more information about the base dimension, group dimension, level dimension, and metric for a process map, see Process Maps .
- In Notepad, click File > Save As to save the file with a new name based on the base dimension, that is, Base dimension name .vw.(If you are configuring a 2D metric map, you should save the file with a name based on the metric name for the metric map, that is, Metric name for metric map .vw.) Make sure that you save the file to the appropriate process map directory.To make sure that your process map is saved as a *.vw file, in the Save As window, set Save as type to All Files.
- (Optional) To make the changes available to all users of the working profile, in the Profile Manager, right-click the check mark for the file in the User column and click Save to > < working profile name > .