Configuring the Connection to Insight Server
After you have installed your Insight software and digital certificate, you must start Insight and configure its connection to Insight Server.
In some cases, the connection to Insight Server may have been pre-configured by Adobe Consulting Services or your system administrator. If so, you do not need to complete this task.
When you start Insight for the first time, it automatically connects to the Adobe License Server to register your digital certificate. To complete the registration process successfully, your computer must be connected to the Internet when you execute the following steps.
If you have already requested, downloaded, and installed a pre-locked certificate as described in Downloading and Installing the Digital Certificate , Insight will not attempt to connect to the License Server and you will not receive an error.
To configure the connection to Insight Server
When working in a clustered environment, Insight should be configured to access the master Insight Server to avoid synchronization issues. In Insight you can view information about the processing Insight Servers in your cluster using the Related Servers menu item in the Servers Manager .
- Launch Insight.
- On the Worktop, click Admin , then First Steps .
- Click the Configure Connection to Servers thumbnail.The Servers Manager, the Insight.cfg file, and instructions for configuring your Insight.cfgfile are displayed.
- In the Insight.cfg window, right-click Servers and click Add new child > Server .
- Complete or modify the server parameters to provide Insight with access to your master Insight Server. For detailed descriptions of the parameters in the Insight.cfg file, see Configuration parameters .
- Repeat Step 4 and Step 5 for each Insight Server to which you want to configure a connection.
- To save your configuration changes, right-click Insight.cfg (modified) at the top of the window and click Save as Insight.cfg .Insight attempts to connect to the Insight Server(s) using the settings that you have specified. If a connection is established, a green node appears in the Servers Manager as shown on the following page.
If Insight cannot connect using the specified settings, a red node appears in the Servers Manager. If this happens, see Connection Troubleshooting .
- Green: Indicates that the connection to the Insight Server is active.
- Light Red: Indicates a potential problem with the server, such as a drain on server processing, high memory usage, or low disk space.
- Red: Indicates that the connection to the Insight Server is not active.
When you select a profile to use, the profile information (including related data and any specific workspaces or visualizations defined for the profile) is downloaded to your computer. As you download each profile, Insight creates a folder within the installation directory using the profile name.
For example, if you select a profile named Sales, a folder named Sales appears in your Insight directory. This folder contains the metrics, dimensions, workspaces, and visualizations defined in the Sales profile. After the initial loading of the profile, the profile can be used when working offline. See Working offline and online .
In addition, when you connect to Insight Server for the first time from Insight, Insight Server creates the following directories in the Insight installation directory.
- Trace directory: Within the Trace directory is the Insight log file ( insight.log). When the size of the Insight.log file reaches 100 MB, the file is renamed to insight-1.log. If a file of the name insight-1.log already exists, then insight-1.log is renamed to insight-2.log, and so forth, with a maximum of insight-9.log. The file insight.log always contains the most recent log information, and insight-max.log contains the oldest.
- User directory: Within the User directory are folders that correspond to each profile used to date, and within each profile folder are folders named Work and Workspaces. The directory User*profile name*\Workspaces is the default location in which Insight workspace files are saved. User*profile name*\Work is the default location in which Insight visualizations and other custom work performed by the Insight user are saved.
The following table lists the default locations of commonly accessed components.
Insight \User\ profile name \Work\
Insight \User\ profile name \Workspaces\ tab name \
Saved .png files
Insight \User\ profile name \Work\
You can search by key name, key type, or value to quickly locate an entry, to remove the need to scroll through expanded, large files for nested information. You can locate dimension names, server names, and so on. The following example shows matches for a search on the phrase map.
Type a search phrase into this field to locate the data. Depending on the success of a match, the color of the field changes. Matches are shown highlighted and non-matches are dimmed. If there are no matches, the background of the search field turns red. When you press Enter, the config tree expands every place where there is a match and collapses where there is not a match.
You can also use regular expressions in the Search field. For example, you can use re: *zip.* for any entry containing the word “zip.”
To clear a search, press Escape .