Customize the Report Portal User Interface
Report sets must be configured in a specific way to produce reports that display properly through Report Portal.
The user interface for Report Portal is designed to display a tab for each report set folder that appears in the output directory and is listed in the profiles.xml file, as well as the built-in Admin tab, which must be added to the TopNavigation.xml file to be displayed. For more information about displaying the built-in Admin tab, see Linking an Output Folder to a Tab in the User... .
Ensuring that Your Report Sets are Compatible with Report Portal
A report set defines a scheduled job for Report. It consists of two items:
- A folder that defines the collection of workspaces that you want Report to generate as reports.
- A configuration file ( Report.cfg).
Among other things, the Report.cfg file tells Report when to generate the reports and where to save the output files. Report sets reside in the Reports folder on the data workbench server. A profile can display any number of report sets.
To ensure compatibility with Report Portal, your report sets must meet the following requirements:
- The output directory for your report sets must contain a configured profiles.xml file.
- Each report set must include a top-level report named “ ReportSetName Summary,” where ReportSetName matches the name of the report set. For example, the following Profile Manager shows two report sets, “Home” and “Traffic.” Note that each report set defines a summary report ( Home Summary.vw and Traffic Summary.vw, respectively).
In Report Portal, the summary report appears on the report set’s tab. The summary report can contain any workspace, window, or visualization you choose.
- The summary report must be the only report in the top-level folder for a report set. All other reports must be placed in subfolders. If you place other reports in the top-level folder, you can not view them through the portal.
Linking an Output Folder to a Tab in the User Interface
To specify the tabs that you want Report Portal to display, you must configure a TopNavigation.xml file for each profile. This file determines which report sets appear as tabs in the user interface for a particular profile, as well as the order of those tabs. The TopNavigation.xml file resides in the *PortalName*\PortalFiles\Core\TopNav*profileName* folder.
To edit the TopNavigation.xml file
- On the machine where IIS is running, open the TopNavigation.xml file in a text editor such as Notepad.
- Edit the list of <TopNav> elements so that it defines the names and order of the report sets whose output you want Report Portal to display, as in the following example:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no" ?> <TOPNAV_ELEMENTS> <TOPNAV> <NAME>Monthly Web</NAME> </TOPNAV> <TOPNAV> <NAME>Weekly Web</NAME> </TOPNAV> <TOPNAV> <NAME>Admin</NAME> </TOPNAV> </TOPNAV_ELEMENTS>The Admin tab is a built-in tab that provides additional functionality. If you do not include it in the TopNavigation.xml file, this tab does not display and its functionality is not available.
- In the *PortalName*\PortalFiles\Core\TopNav\ folder, create a folder for your next profile.
- Copy the TopNavigation.xml file from the first profile folder and paste it into the new folder.
- Edit the TopNavigation.xml as necessary, then save the file.
- Repeat Steps 3-5 for all other profiles available in your portal.