Registering Report Server as a Windows Service
Steps to register and run Report Server.
Before you perform this procedure, identify the Windows account under which the Report Server service will run. Make sure that this account has the proper permissions to access the location where generated reports are stored (that is, do not use the Local System Account).
Use the procedure below to start Report Server. When you start Report Server for the first time, it automatically registers itself as a Windows service.
When you start Report Server for the first time, it automatically connects to the Adobe License Server to register your digital certificate. To complete the registration process successfully, your machine must be connected to the Internet when you execute the following steps.
- In Windows, navigate to the directory where you installed Report Server.Example: D:\Adobe\Report
- Double-click ReportServer.exe .
- To confirm that Report Server is running correctly, click Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services . This command sequence can vary depending on which version of Windows you are using.
- In the service list, locate the entry for Report Server and confirm that its status is Started and its startup type is Automatic.
- Do the following to specify the user account under which Report Server will execute:
- Double-click Report Server to open the Properties window.
- Select the Log On tab.
- Select the This account radio button.
- Type or browse for the account name. This account must have permission to access the location where generated reports are stored.If Report Server distributes reports as Microsoft Excel ( .xls or .xlsx) files, make sure that the account also has permission to run Microsoft Excel.
- Enter and confirm the password for the account.
- Click OK .
- Right-click the Report Server service and select Restart to restart the service under the account you specified.
- To check whether Report Server experienced any errors during start-up, click Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer . This command sequence can vary depending on which version of Windows you are using.
- In the left pane of the Event Viewer window, select the Applications log.
- In the right pane, look for events with Adobe in the Source column.
- If you find an error from Adobe, double-click the error to display the Event Properties window. This window provides detailed information about the error.After the Report Server service starts, the file ReportServer.log is created in the Report Server Trace directory. This file is also useful for troubleshooting issues with Report Server.
You have completed the installation of Report Server. Report Server is designed to run continuously. If you restart the machine, Report Server restarts automatically. If you need to start and stop Report Server manually, you can do so using the Services control panel in Windows.