Monitoring Event Data Space
Information about monitoring event data space and changing the log directory for Sensor data.
Recommended Frequency: Every 5-10 minutes
Insight Server stores one log file per Sensor per day on either the Data Processing Unit or the File Server Unit, depending on your configuration. The size of the log files and the amount of data storage space required for them depends on many variables, including, for example, the number of websites being logged and the number of requests your web servers receive per second.
A typical installation of Insight Server (or an Insight Server cluster) is capable of storing multiple terabytes of data, assuming that the implementation uses the hardware recommended by Adobe for the Insight Server machine(s).
Typically, all log data remains present on the Insight Server machine. If it becomes necessary to make more data storage space available on the machine, you can move all but the most current day’s log files to another machine or data storage medium (zip drive, tape, and so forth). Moving the data does not require you to stop Insight Server, and it does not affect the functionality available in any Insights that may be connected to Insight Server and working with continuous data. Provided that you do not process or reprocess an analysis dataset, you retain access to all previous data and new data continues to be available in Insight. If you process or reprocess an analysis dataset, you can not access the data until processing is complete.
By default, event data produced by Sensor and transmitted to Insight Server is stored in the Logs folder within the Insight Server installation directory. The Communications configuration file, Communications.cfg, specifies the location of event data log files that are read by Insight Server.
**To change the log directory for Sensor data **
- In Insight, on the Admin > Dataset and Profile tab, click the Servers Manager thumbnail to open the Servers Manager workspace.
- Right-click the icon of the Insight Server you want to configure and click Server Files .
- In the Server Files Manager, click Components to view its contents. The Communications.cfg file is located within this directory.
- Right-click the check mark in the server name column for Communications.cfg and click Make Local . A check mark appears in the Temp column for Communications.cfg.
- Right-click the newly created check mark in the Temp column and click Open > in Insight .
- In the Communications.cfg window, click component to view its contents.
- In the Communications.cfg window, click Servers to view its contents. Several types of servers may appear: File Servers, Logging Servers, Init Servers, Status Servers, Send Servers, or Replicate Servers.
- Find the LoggingServer, which is where Sensor writes its log files to be processed by Insight Server, and click its number to view the menu.The default log directory is the Logs folder within the Insight Server installation directory.
- Edit the Log Directory parameter to reflect the desired location of the log files.Do not modify any other parameters for the LoggingServer.Several FileServers may be listed under the Servers node, so you may need to view the contents of many of them (by clicking their numbers in the Servers list) to find the server with a Local Path of Logs\ to be modified.
- Edit the Local Path to reflect the desired location of the .vsl files.Do not modify any other parameters for the FileServer.Although the location of the log files has been changed in the Communications.cfg file, you can map these files to the Logs directory of the Server Files Manager by specifying /Logs/ as the URI for the FileServer.
- Save your changes to the server by doing the following:
- Right-click (modified) at the top of the window and click Save .
- In the Server Files Manager, right-click the check mark for the file in the Temp column and select Save to > < server name > .