Monitoring Memory Usage
Information on assessing and monitoring the Address Space Load.
Monitoring the Address Space Load
Recommended Frequency: Daily
The Address Space load is a measure of the fraction of the maximum Address Space that a properly configured Insight Server uses. Even if the configuration parameters are changed to reduce memory usage, it usually does not decrease until the Insight Server service is restarted.
A safety margin is built into the Address Space load maximum to account for unexpected increases in Address Space utilization. You should never deliberately cut into this safety margin. It exists for emergency situations and not for the support of functionality added to your Adobe application.
To make more Address Space available and avoid memory exhaustion errors, ensure that your operating system has the /3GB Switch enabled and that Low Fragmentation Heap is operating.
Errors logged to the Insight Server event data log can provide a clue that problems are developing with your Address Space load:
- “Requested X byte block is too large” errors indicate that something may be having an excessive impact on Address Space load, performance, and network bandwidth. Such large blocks can contribute greatly to Address Space usage, both by using a lot of memory and by requiring large contiguous blocks of Address Space.To address this problem, you can reduce the cardinality of your largest dimensions, which increases your Address Space load. If you cannot reduce the cardinality of the dimensions, you should attempt to keep the Address Space load small enough so that you can handle an unexpected increase.
- “Memory budget exceeded” errors indicate that you might need to increase the Query Memory Limit. Memory used by queries is proportional to dimension cardinality and, in some cases, the lengths of the element names. If you increase the Query Memory Limit, you increase your total Address Space load and shrink the large dimensions.
By default, use of large pages are allowed and memory-mapped lookup is disabled. In DWB 6.7 and later, this can be changed in dataset configuration. Any changes require a Server restart.
To assess Address Space load
To accurately assess the Address Space load for your system, Adobe recommends reprocessing the dataset, performing some normal queries without subsequently restarting Insight Server, and then viewing the measured Address Space load by following these steps.
If an Insight Server has not been reprocessed and queried significantly since it was last restarted, you should not draw conclusions from the Address Space load.
- In Insight, on the Admin > Dataset and Profile tab, click the Servers Manager thumbnail to open the Servers Manager workspace.
- Right-click the icon of the Insight Server you want to configure and click Detailed Status .
- In the Detailed Status interface, click Memory Status to view its contents. In the Address Space Load parameter, you can see the Address Space load expressed as a percentage and a parenthetical description indicating status.The following table presents ranges and status for Address Space load. A recommended action is listed for each range.Address Space Load (%)StatusRecommended Action0-15lean and meanNone.15-33lightNone.33-66moderateNone.66-100heavyTo avoid memory exhaustion failures, do not add significant extra functionality or attempt to process more data.100-125reliability compromisedAdjust your dataset configuration to reduce Address Space load.125 or greaterfailure imminentAdjust your dataset configuration to reduce Address Space load. You may not see the failure imminent status before failure occurs.If you see an Address Space load above 100%, you should change the configuration as soon as possible to reduce Address Space usage.