Adding an Insight Server FSU to an Existing Cluster
You may want to add an Insight Server FSU to an existing cluster if you want to store source data on an additional file server or if you want to set up a back up for your master Insight Server.
To add an Insight Server FSU to an existing cluster, you must perform the following procedures:
Updating the Configuration Files on the Master Server
In Insight, open up the Server Files Manager for your master Insight Server (usually an Insight Server FSU) and do the following for each FSU that you want to add to the cluster:
- Edit the address file on the master Insight Server to include the name and address of the new FSU as described in Adding the Processing Insight Servers to the Address File . Add the name and address of the new FSU to the group in which your cluster’s current Insight Servers are listed.
- Edit the access control file on the master Insight Server to include the IP address of the new FSU as described in Updating the Access Control File for a Cluster .
Installing the New Insight Server FSU
- On your current FSU, make a zip file of the Insight Server installation directory and copy the file to the new FSU.
- Unzip the file to the location where you wish to place the Insight Server software.
- Download and install the digital certificate for the new FSU as described in Downloading and Installing the Digital Certificates .
- Set the Windows memory utilization parameters on the new FSU.
- Change the name of the .address file to reflect the name of the FSU as described in Defining the Server's Network Location .
- If the drive structure on the new FSU is different than that on the primary FSU, you need to edit the Disk Files.cfg file.
- Open the Disk Files.cfg file on the new FSU.
- Update the settings to match the drives of the primary FSU as described in Monitoring Dataset Data Space .
- Save the file locally and to the server.
- Register Insight Server as a Windows service on the new FSU machine as described in Registering Insight Server as a Windows Service .
- Repeat steps 1 through 6 for each additional FSU that you are adding to the cluster.
Configuring the New Insight Server FSU
The following procedures provide instructions for specific configuration tasks. Follow the instructions that are appropriate to your implementation of the new FSU.
To configure the FSU for source data storage
If the new FSU stores additional source data for the dataset running on the cluster, you must complete the file server configuration process as described in Configuring an Insight Server File Server Unit in the Log Processing Configuration File chapter of the Dataset Configuration Guide .
To make to new FSU the backup for the master Insight Server FSU
If you wish to make the new FSU the backup for the master Insight Server (which serves as an FSU for the cluster), you must modify the synchronization file on the new (backup) FSU so that it synchronizes with the master FSU.
- On the backup Insight Server FSU, use the Server Files Manager to copy the Synchronize.cfg file in the Components for Processing Servers folder to the Components folder.
- Open the Synchronize.cfg file (in the Components folder) in Insight.
- Find the SynchronizeDir that specifies the location of the Components directory. There may be several synchronize directories listed under Directories, so you may need to view the contents for many of them (by clicking the server number) to find the desired server).
- Edit the SynchronizeDir entry and add a second SynchronizeDir entry as shown in the example below.
- Save the modified file with a new name such as FSU_Synchronize.cfg so that you do not confuse it with the Synchronize.cfg files on the DPUs in the cluster.
- Use the Server Files Manager to save the local copy of the renamed file to the server. The backup FSU downloads the files in the identified directories from the master Insight Server FSU and dynamically retrieves updated copies of these files from the master Insight Server FSU when they change.