Registering Insight Server as a Windows Service
Procedure to start Insight Server and simultaneously register it as a Microsoft Windows Service.
When you start Insight Server for the first time, it automatically connects to the Adobe License Server to register your digital certificate. To complete the registration process successfully, your machine must be connected to the Internet when you execute the following steps.
To start Insight Server and register it as a Windows Service
- Open a command prompt and navigate to the bin sub-directory in the folder where you installed Insight Server.Example: C:\Adobe\Server\bin
- At the command prompt, execute the following command to start Insight Server and simultaneously register it to run as a service under Microsoft Windows:
<filepath> InsightServer64.exe /regserver </filepath>
- To confirm that Insight Server is running correctly, click Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services . This command sequence can vary depending on which version of Windows you are using.
- In the service list, locate the entry for Adobe Insight Server and confirm that its status is Started and its startup type is Automatic.
- Close the Services control panel.
- To check whether Insight Server experienced any errors during start-up, click Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer . This command sequence can vary depending on which version of Windows you are using.
- In the left pane of the Event Viewer window, select the Application log.
- In the right pane, look for events with “Adobe” in the Source column.
- If you find an error from “Adobe,” double-click the error to display the Event Properties window. This window provides detailed information about the error.
- When you finish examining the Applications log, close the Event Viewer.
You have completed the installation of Insight Server. Insight Server is designed to run continuously. If you restart the machine, Insight Server restarts automatically. If you need to start and stop Insight Server manually, you can do so using the Services control panel in Windows. As described in the following section, you can optionally configure Insight Server service to automatically restart periodically.
Configuring the Service to Restart Automatically
Insight Server is designed to continue running uninterrupted. It is typically stopped or started only when performing infrequent tasks such as software upgrades or certificate changes or in the event of certain system errors. It is not necessary to stop or restart the Insight Server service during normal system operation; however, you can configure the service to restart periodically (daily, weekly, or monthly) to, for example, clear the event messages.
To configure the Insight Server service to restart automatically
- Navigate to the Components folder in the directory where you installed Insight Server.Example: C:\Adobe\Server\Components
- Use a text editor such as Notepad to create a new file called ScheduledRestart.cfg.
- Enter the following text in the ScheduledRestart.cfg file:
component = ScheduledRestart: Start Time = string: Month DD, YYYY HH:MM:SS TZone Restart Every = string: frequency
For this value... Specify Month DD, YYYY HH:MM:SS TZoneThe time when you want Insight Server to be restarted for the first time.Example: August 13, 2013 22:30:00 ESTNote: You must specify a time zone. The time zone does not default to system time if not specified. If you wish to implement Daylight Saving Time or a similar clock-shifting policy, you must save the .dst file containing the appropriate rules in the Base\Dataset\Timezone directory on the Insight Server machine. For a list of supported time zone abbreviations and information about implementing Daylight Saving Time, see Time Zone Codes . frequencyOne of the following values:
To indicate the frequency at which you want Insight Server to be restarted after the initial time specified in Start Time.For example, if you wanted Insight Server to restart once a week, you would set this value to “week.”
- Save the ScheduledRestart.cfg file.Verify that the ScheduledRestart.cfg file is in the Components folder in the directory where you installed Insight Server.