Bulk Metadata Import and Export
AEM Assets lets you import asset metadata in bulk using a CSV file. You can do bulk updates for the recently uploaded assets or the existing assets by importing a CSV file. You can also ingest asset metadata in bulk from third-party system in CSV format.
The metadata import is asynchronous and does not impede the system performance. Simultaneous update of the metadata for multiple assets can be resource-intensive because of XMP writeback activity if workflow flag is checked. Plan such an import during lean server usage so that performance for other users is not impacted.
To import metadata on custom namespaces, first register the namespaces.
- Navigate to the Assets user interface, and tap/click Create from the toolbar.
- From the menu, select Metadata .
- On the Metadata Import page, tap/click the Select File . Select the CSV file with the metadata.
- Specify the following parameters:Metadata import parametersDescriptionBatch SizeNumber of assets in a batch for which metadata is to be imported. Default value is 50. Maximum value is 100.Field SeparatorDefault value is Comma. You can specify any other character.Multi Value DelimiterSeparator for metadata values. Default value isLaunch WorkflowsFalse by default. When set to true and default Launcher settings are in effect for the DAM Metadata WriteBack Workflow (that writes metadata to the binary XMP data). Enabling launch workflows slows the system down.Asset Path Column NameDefines the column name for the CSV file with assets.
- Tap/click Import from the toolbar. After the metadata is imported, a notification is sent to your Notification inbox. Navigate to asset property page and verify whether the metadata values are correctly imported for assets.
You can export metada for multiple assets in a CSV format. The metadata is exported asynchronously and does not impact the performance of the system. To export metadata, AEM traverses through the properties of the asset node jcr:content/metadata and its child nodes and exports the metadata properties in a CSV file.
A few use cases for exporting metadata in bulk are:
- Import the metadata in a third-party system when migrating assets.
- Share asset metadata with a wider project team.
- Test or audit the metadata for compliance.
- Externalize the metadata for separate localization.
- Select the asset folder that contains assets for which you want to export metadata. From the toolbar, select Export metadata .
- In the Metadata Export dialog, specify a name for the CSV file. To export metadata for assets in subfolders, select Include assets in sub-folders .
- Select the desired options. Provide a filename and if necessary a date.
- In the Properties to be exported specify whether you want to export all or specific properties. If you choose Selective properties to be exported, add the desired properties.
- From the toolbar, tap/click Export . A message confirms that the metadata is exported. Close the message.
- Open the inbox notification for the export job. Select the job and click Open from the toolbar. To download the CSV file with the metadata, tap/click CSV Download from the toolbar. Click Close .