You can receive notifications from various areas of AEM, including workflows and projects; for example, about:
- these can also be created at various points within the AEM UI, for example, under Projects ,
- these can be the product of a workflow Create Task or Create Project Task step.
- work items that represent actions that you need to perform on page content;
- these are the product of workflow Participant steps
- failure items, to allow administrators to retry the failed step.
You receive these notifications in your own Inbox where you can view them and take action.
Out-of-the-box AEM comes pre-loaded with administrative tasks assigned to the administrator user group. See Out-of-the-Box Administrative Tasks for details.
For further information about the item types see also:
Inbox in the Header
From any of the consoles the current number of items in your inbox is shown in the header. The indicator can also be opened to provide either quick access to the page(s) requiring action(s) or access to the inbox:
Certain actions will also be shown in the card view of the appropriate resource .
Opening the Inbox
To open the AEM notification inbox:
- Click/tap on the indicator in the toolbar.
- Select View all . The AEM Inbox will open. The inbox shows items from workflows, projects and tasks.
- The default view is List View , but you can also switch to Calendar View . This is done with the view selector (toolbar, top right).For both views you can also define View Settings ; the options available are dependent on the current view.
Inbox - List View
This view lists all items, together with key relevant information:
Inbox - Calendar View
This view presents items according to their position in the calendar and the precise view you have selected:
- select a specific view; Timeline , Column , List
- specify the tasks to display according to Schedule ; All , Planned , In Progress , Due Soon , Past Due
- drill down for more detailed information on an item
- select a date range to focus the view:
Inbox - View Settings
For both views (List and Calendar) you can define settings:
- Calendar ViewFor Calendar View you can configure:
- Group by
- Schedule or None
- Card size
- List ViewFor List View you can configure the sort mechanism:
- Sort on
- Sort Order
Taking Action on an Item
- To take an action on an item, select the thumbnail for the appropriate item. Icons for the actions that are applicable to that item will be shown in the toolbar:The actions are appropriate to the item and include:
For further information see:
- Complete action; for example, a task or workflow item.
- Re-assign / Delegate an item.
- Open an item; depending on the item type this action can:
- show the item properties
- open an appropriate dashboard or wizard for further action
- open related documentation
- Step back to a previous step.
- View the payload for a workflow.
- Create a project from the item.
- Workflow items - Participating in Workflows
- Depending on the item selected an action will be started; for example:
For example, Re-assign will open a dialog:Depending on whether a dialog, wizard, documentation page has been opened you can:
- a dialog appropriate to the action will be opened.
- an action wizard will be started.
- a documentation page will be opened.
- Confirm the appropriate action; e.g Re-assign.
- Cancel the action.
- Back arrow; for example, if an action wizard or documentation page has been opened, you can return to the Inbox.
Creating a Task
From the inbox you can create tasks:
- Select Create , then Task .
- Complete the necessary fields in the Basic and Advanced tabs; only the Title is mandatory, all others are optional:
- Basic :
- Content ; similar to Payload, this is a reference from the task to a location in the repository
- Task Priority
- Start Date
- Due Date
- Name : this will be used to form the URL; if blank it will be based on the Title .
- Select Submit .
Creating a Project
For certain tasks you can create a Project based on that task:
- Select the appropriate task, by tapping/clicking on the thumbnail.Only tasks created using the Create option of the Inbox can be used to create a project.Workitems (from a workflow) cannot be used to create a project.
- Select Create Project from the toolbar to open the wizard.
- Select the appropriate template, then Next .
- Specify the required properties:
See Creating a Project for full information.
- Start Date
- Due Date
- User and role
- Select Create to confirm the action.
Filtering Items in the AEM Inbox
You can filter the items listed:
- Open the AEM Inbox .
- Open the filter selector:
- You can filter the items listed according to a range of criteria, many of which can be refined; for example: