The forum feature provides an area for signed-in site visitors (community members) in the publish environment to:
- Create new topics
- View and reply to topics
- Follow a topic
- Search a forum
- Help moderate the forum content
- Move forum topics from one page to another
This section of the documentation describes
- Adding the forum feature to an AEM site
- Configuration settings for the Forum component
Adding a Forum to a Page
To add a Forum component to a page in author mode, use the component browser to locate
- Communities / Forum
And drag it into place on a page where the forum should appear.
For necessary information, visit Communities Components Basics .
When the required client-side libraries are included, this is how the Forum component will appear:
Configuring a Forum
Select the placed Forum component to access and select the Configure icon which opens the edit dialog.
Under the Settings tab, specify settings for topics and replies:
- Topics Per Page Defines the number of topics/posts shown per page. Default is 10.
- Moderated If checked, posting of topics and comments must be approved before they will appear on a publish site. Default is unchecked.
- Closed If checked, the forum is closed to new topics and comments. Default is unchecked.
- Rich Text Editor If checked, topics and comments may be entered with markup. Default is unchecked.
- Allow Tagging If checked, allow members to add tag labels to their post (see Tag field tab). Default is unchecked.
- Allow File Uploads If checked, allow file attachments to be added to the topic or comment. Default is unchecked.
- Allow Following If checked, include the following feature for forum posts, which allows members to be notified of new posts. Default is unchecked.
- Allow Pinning If checked, forum topics may be pinned to the top of the list of topics. Default is unchecked.
- Allow Featured Content if checked, the idea is able to be identified as featured content . Default is unchecked.
- Max File Size Relevant only if Allow File Uploads is checked. This field will limit the size (in bytes) of an uploaded file. Default is 104857600 (10 Mb).
- Allowed File Types Relevant only if Allow File Uploads is checked. A comma separated list of file extensions with the "dot" separater. For example: .jpg, .jpeg, .png, .doc, .docx, .pdf. If any file types are specifed, then those not specified will not be allowed to be uploaded. Default is none specified such that all file types are allowed.
- Max Attach Image File Size Relevant only if Allow File Uploads is checked. Maximum number of bytes an uploaded image file may have. Default is 2097152 (2 Mb).
- Allow Threaded Replies If checked, allow replies to comments posted to the topic. Default is unchecked.
- Allow Users to Delete Comments and Topics If checked, allow members to delete the comments and topics they posted. Default is unchecked.
- Allow Voting If checked, include the Voting feature with a topic. Default is unchecked.
- Show Breadcrumbs If checked, show navigational breadcrumbs on topic pages. Default is checked.
- Display Badges If checked, display earned and assigned badges with a member's blog entry. Default is unchecked.
It may be necessary to check both AllowThreaded Replies and Allow users to Delete Comments and Topics to enable comments on a topic.
User Moderation tab
Under the User Moderation tab, specify how the posted topics and replies (user generated content) are managed. For more information, see Moderating User Generated Content .
- Deny Posts If checked, trusted member moderators will be allowed to deny posts and prevent the post from appearing on the public forum. Default is unchecked.
- Close / Reopen Topics If checked, trusted member moderators may close a topic to further edits and comments, and may also reopen a topic. Default is unchecked.
- Move Topics If checked, allow publish-side moderators to move topics. Default is checked.
- Flag Posts If checked, allow members to flag others' topics or comments as inappropriate. Default is unchecked.
- Flag Reason List If checked, allow members to choose, from a drop-down list, their reason for flagging a topic or comment as inappropriate. Default is unchecked.
- Custom Flag Reason If checked, allow members to enter their own reason for flagging a topic or comment as inappropriate. Default is unchecked.
- Moderation Threshold Enter the number of times a topic or comment has to be flagged by members before moderators are notified. Default is 1 ( one time).
- Flagging Limit Enter the number of times a topic or comment has to be flagged before it is hidden from public view. If set to -1, the flagged topic or comment is never hidden from public view. Else, this number must be greater than or equal to the Moderation Threshold. Default is 5.
Tag field tab
Under the Tag field tab, the tags which may be applied, if allowed under the Settings tab, are limited according to namespaces chosen.
- Allowed Namespaces Relevant if Allow Tagging is checked under the Settings tab. The tags which may be applied are limited to those within the namespace categories checked. The list of namespaces includes "Standard Tags" (the default namespace) as well as "Include All Tags". Default is none checked, which means all namespaces are allowed.
- Suggestion Limit Enter the number of tags to be displayed as a suggestion to the member posting to the forum. Default is - 1 (no limits).
Under the Translation tab, if translation is enabled for the community site, translation may be set to translate the entire topic or selected posts.
- Translate All If checked, the forum thread is translated into the user's preferred language. Default is unchecked.
Sort Settings tab
Under the Sort Settings tab, specify how the posted comments are sorted when displayed.
- Sort By Check all allowed sort selections: Newest, Oldest, Last Updated, Most Viewed, Most Active, Most Followed and Most Liked . Default is Newest, Oldest, Last Updated .
- Set as Default Pull down to select one of the checked sort options to appear as the default. Default is Newest .
- Select Time Options for Analytics Sorting Pull down to select one of All, Last 24 Hours, Last 7 Days, Last 30 Days . Default is All .
More information may be found on the Forum Essentials page for developers.
For moderation of posted topics and comments, see Moderating User Generated Content .
For tagging posted topics and comments, see Tagging User Generated Content .
For translation of posted topics and comments, see Translating User Generated Content .