Using Social Tag Cloud
The Social Tag Cloud component highlights tags applied by community members when posting content. It is a means of identifying trending topics and allowing site visitors to quickly locate tagged content.
For another means of identifying current trends, visit Activity Trends .
This page documents the Social Tag Cloud component dialog settings and describes the user experience.
For detailed information for developers see Tag Essentials .
See Administering Tags for information about creating and managing tags, as well as to which content tags have been applied.
Adding a Social Tag Cloud
To add a Social Tag Cloud component to a page in author mode, use the component browser to locate Communities / Social Tag Cloud and drag it into place on a page where the tag cloud should appear.
For necessary information, visit Communities Components Basics .
When the required client-side libraries are included, this is how the Social Tag Cloud component will appear:
Configuring Social Tag Cloud
Select the placed Social Tag Cloud component to access and select the Configure icon which opens the edit dialog.
Under the Social Tag Cloud tab, specify which tags to display and, if the tags are active links, the location of the page for search results.:
- Social Tags to Display Identify which UGC tags to display. The pull-down options are
The default is From page and child pages , where "page" refers to the Page setting below.
- From page and child pages
- All tags
- Page (required if not All tags) The path to the UGC for a page. Default is the current page if left blank.
- No links on tags If checked, the tags are displayed in the tag cloud as plain text. If unchecked, the tags are displayed as active links which search on all content to which that tag is applied. Default is unchecked and requires the Search Result Path to be set.
- Search Result Path The path to a page on which a Search Result component has been placed, configured to reference UGC which includes the UGC path specified by the Page setting.
Change Display of Social Tag Cloud
To edit the display of the Social Tag Cloud , enter Design Mode and double click on the placed Social Tag Cloud component to open a dialog with an additional tab.
Using the Social Tag Cloud (Design) tab, specify how tags are displayed. A tag may be a simple tag, a single word in the default namespace, or a hierarchical taxonomy:
- Show full title paths If checked, shows the titles for the parent tags and namespace for each applied tag.For example:
There is no difference for a simple tag.Default is unchecked.
- Checked: Geometrixx Media: Gadgets / Cars
- Unchecked: Cars
- Show only leaf tags If checked, shows only applied tags which contain no other tags.For example, given the TagID ofGeometrixx Media: Gadgets / CarsThere are 3 tags which can be applied: Geometrixx Media (the namespace) , Gadgets , and Cars
A simple tag is a leaf tag.Default is unchecked.
- Checked: only Cars will display, if applied
- Unchecked: Geometrixx Media and Gadgets as well as Cars will display, if applied
- Link Template A template, other than a default, used to display the links in a tag cloud, when links are enabled through the component edit dialog.
- Same size for all tags If checked, all words in the tag cloud are styled the same. If unchecked, words are styled differently according to their usage. Default is unchecked.