The Screens player provides offline support for the channels by leveraging the ContentSync technology.
The players use a local http server to serve the unzipped content.
When a channel is configured to run online , the player serves the channel-resources by accessing the AEM server but when the channel is configured to run offline , the player serves the channel-resources from a local http server.
The workflow for the process is as follows:
- Parse the desired page(s)
- Collect all related assets
- Package everything in a zip file
- Download the zip and extract it locally
- Display local copy of the content
The ContentSync uses update handlers to parse and collect all necessary pages and assets for a specific project. AEM Screens uses the following update handlers:
- type : the update handler type to use
- path : path to the resource
- #: target folder in the zip file
|channels||collects a channel||extension: extension of the resource to collect [pathSuffix='']: suffix to add to the channel path [deep=true]: whether to parse child pages recursively [includeImages=true]: include all images in the channel [includeVideos=true]: include all videos in the channel [includeProducts=true]: include all products in the channel|
|clientlib||collect the specified client library||[extension='']: can be either css or js, to collect only the former, or only the latter|
|assetrenditions||collect the asset renditions||[renditions=]: list of renditions to collect. Defaults to the original rendition|
|copy||copy the specified structure from path|
Testing ContentSync Configuration
Follow the steps below to test the ContentSync configuration:
- Select your config in the list
- Click Clear Cache
- Click Update Cache
- Click Download Full
- Extract the zip file
- Start a local server in the extracted folder
- Open your start page and check your app status
Enabling Offline Config for a Channel
Follow the steps below to enable offline config for a channel:
- Inspect the channel content and check if it is requested from an AEM Instance (Online).
- Navigate to the channel dashboard and click **... in the CHANNEL INFORMATION **Panel to change the properties.
- Navigate to the channel properties and make sure the checkbox is disabled under the Channel tab. Click Save & Close .Before content is properly deployed to the device, click the Update Offline Content .The Offline status under PROPERTIES also updates accordingly.
- Inspect the channel content and check if it is requested from the local Player-Cache.