Analytics with External Providers
Analytics can provide you with important and interesting information about how your website is being used.
Various out-of-the box configurations are available for integrating with the appropriate service, for example:
You can also configure your own instance of the Generic Analytics Snippets to define a new service configurations.
The information is then collected by means of small snippets of code that are added to the web pages. For example:
Scripts must not be enclosed in script tags.
Such snippets enable data to be collected and reports generated. The actual data collected depends on the provider and the actual code snippet used. Example statistics include:
- how many visitors over time
- how many pages visited
- search terms used
- landing pages
The Geometrixx-Outdoors demo site is configured so that the attributes provided in the Page Properties are appended to the html source code (just above the </html> endtag) in the corresponding js script.
If your own /apps do not inherit from the default page component ( /libs/foundation/components/page ) you (or your developers) have to make sure that the corresponding js scripts are included, for example by either including cq/cloudserviceconfigs/components/servicescomponents , or using a similar mechanism.
Without this, none of the services (Generic, Analytics, Target, etc) will work.
Creating a new Service with a Generic Snippet
For the basic configuration:
- Open the Tools console.
- From the left pane expand Cloud Services Configurations .
- Double-click on Generic Analytics Snippet to open the page:
- Click on the + to add a new configuration using the dialog; at a minimum assign a name, for example google analytics:
- Click OK to save.
Using your new Service on Pages
Having created the service configuration you now need configure the required pages to use it:
- Navigate to the page.
- Open the Page Properties from sidekick, then the Cloud Services tab.
- Click Add Service , then select the required service; for example the Generic Analytics Snippet :
- Click OK to save.
- You will be returned to the Cloud Services tab. The Generic Analytics Snippet is now listed with the message Configuration reference missing . Use the drop down list to select your specific service instance; for example google-analytics:
- Click OK to save.The snippet can now be seen if you view the Page Source for the page.After a suitable period of time has elapsed, you will be able to view the statistics that have been collected.If the configuration is attached to a page that has child pages, the service is inherited by those as well.