How to edit or add metadata
Metadata is additional information about the asset that can be searched. It is automatically extracted when you upload an image. You can edit the existing metadata or add new metadata properties to existing field, for example, when a metadata field is blank.
Organizations need controlled and reliable metadata vocabularies. Hence Experience Manager Assets does not allow for on-demand adding of new metadata properties. Developers and not authors can add new metadata fields for assets. See create metadata property for assets .
Edit metadata for an asset
To edit metadata, follow these steps:
- Do one of the following:
The asset page displays all the asset's metadata. The metadata is extracted when the asset is uploaded (ingested) into Experience Manager.Figure: Edit or add metadata on asset Properties page.
- From the Assets interface, select the asset and click View Properties from the toolbar.
- From the asset thumbnail, select the View Properties quick action.
- From the asset page, click View Properties from the toolbar.
- Make edits to the metadata under the various tabs, as required, and when completed, click Save from the toolbar to save your changes. Click Close to return to the Assets web interface.If a text field is empty, there is no existing metadata set. You can enter a value into the field and save it to add that metadata property.
Any changes to the metadata of an asset are written back to the original binary as part of its XMP data. The metadata write-back workflow adds the metadata to the original binary. Changes made to the existing properties (such as dc:title ) are overwritten and new properties (including custom properties like cq:tags ) are added with the schema.
XMP write-back is supported and enabled for the platforms and file formats described in technical requirements.
Edit metadata schema
For details, see edit metadata schema forms .
Register a custom namespace within Experience Manager
You can add your own namespaces within Experience Manager. Just as there are predefined namespaces such as cq , jcr , and sling , you can have a namespace for your repository metadata and XML processing.
- Access the node type administration page https://[aem_server]:[port]/crx/explorer/nodetypes/index.jsp .
- To access the namespace administration page, click Namespaces at the top of the page.
- To add a namespace, click New at the bottom of the page.
- Specify a custom namespace in the XML namespace convention. Specify the ID in the form of a URI and an associated prefix for the ID. Click Save .
Tips and limitations
- The metadata updates via Touch-UI changes the metadata properties in the dc namespace. Any updates made via the HTTP API changes the metadata properties in the jcr namespace. See how to update metadata using HTTP API .