Manage Forms applications and tasks in AEM Inbox
One of the many ways to launch or trigger a Forms-centric workflow is through applications in AEM Inbox. You need to create a workflow application to make a Forms workflow available as application in Inbox. For more information about workflow application and other ways to launch Forms workflows, see Launch a Forms-centric workflow on OSGi .
In addition, AEM Inbox consolidates notifications and tasks from various AEM components, including Forms workflows. When a forms workflow containing an Assign task step is triggered, the associated application is listed as a task in the assignee's Inbox. If the assignee is a group, the task appears in the Inbox of all group members until an individual claims or delegates the task.
The Inbox user interface provides list and calendar views to view tasks. You can also configure the view settings. You can filter tasks based on various parameters. For more information about view and filters, see Your Inbox .
In summary, Inbox allows you to create a new application and manage assigned tasks.
You must be a member of the workflow-users group to be able to use AEM Inbox.
- In the Inbox UI, tap Create > Application . The Select Application page appears.
- Select an application and click Create . The adaptive form associated with the application opens. Fill up the information in the adaptive form and tap Submit . It launches the associated workflow and creates a task in the assignee's Inbox.
When a Forms workflow triggers and you are an assignee or part of the assignee group, a task appears in your Inbox. You can view task details and perform available actions on the task from within Inbox.
Claim or delegate tasks
Tasks that are assigned to a group appear in the Inbox of all group members. Any group member can claim that task or delegate it to another group member. To do so:
- Tap to select the thumbnail of the task. Options to open or delegate the task appear at the top.
- Do one of the following:
- To delegate the task, tap Delegate . The Delegate Item dialog Opens. Select a user, optionally add a comment, and tap OK .
- To claim the task, tap Open . The Assign to Self dialog opens. Tap Proceed to claim the task. The claimed task appears with you as the assignee in your Inbox.
View details and perform actions on tasks
When you open a task, you can view task details and perform available actions. The actions available for a task are defined in the Assign task step of the associated Forms workflow.
- Tap to select the thumbnail of the task. Options to open or delegate the selected task appear at the top.
- Tap Open to view task details and take actions. The detailed task view opens. In this view, you can view task details and take actions on the task.If a task is assigned to a group, you must claim it to be able to open it in detailed view.
The detailed task view comprises the following sections:
- Task details
- Workflow details
- Actions toolbar
The Task Details section displays information about the task. The information displayed depends on the configuration settings of the Assign task step in the workflow. The above example displays the description, status, start date, and workflow used for the task. It also allows attaching a file to the task.
The Form tab in the main content area displays the submitted form and field-level attachments, if any.
The Workflow Details tab at the top shows the progress of the task through various stages in the workflow. It shows completed, current, and pending stages for the task. The stages for a workflow are defined in the Assign task step of the associated workflow.
In addition, the tab displays task history for each completed stage in the workflow. You can tap View Details for a completed stage to know details about that stage. It displays comments, form and task attachments, status, start and end dates, and so on about the task.
The Actions toolbar shows all available options for the task. While Save, Reset, and Delegate are default actions, other available actions are configured in Assign task step . In the example above, Approve and Reject are configured in the workflow.
As you take action on the task, it proceeds further in the workflow.
View completed tasks
AEM Inbox displays only active tasks. Completed tasks do not appear in the list. However, you can use Inbox filters to filter tasks based on several parameters, such as task type, status, start and end dates, and so on. To view completed tasks:
- In AEM Inbox, tap to open the filter selector.
- Tap Task Status accordion and select Complete . All your completed tasks appear.
- Tap to select a task and click Open .
The task opens to display the document or the adaptive form associated with the task. For adaptive form, the task displays the read-only adaptive form or its PDF document of record as configured in the Form/Document tab of the Assign Task workflow step .
The task details section displays information such as action taken, task status, start date, and end date.
The Workflow Details tab shows each step of the workflow. Tap View details for a step for detailed information.