What's new in Adobe Experience Manager 6.5 Service Pack 4
Adobe Experience Manager (6.5) enables you to get access to new features and continuous improvements through quarterly Service Pack releases. Using this approach, you get to adopt the innovations easily.
Experience Manager Service Pack 4 (188.8.131.52) is an important update. It includes all the new features, key customer requested enhancements, performance, stability, and security improvements released since AEM 6.5 release in April 2019. You can install the service pack on AEM 6.5 and later releases.
This article highlights the features included in the latest 6.5 Service Pack, key features included in the previous 6.5 Service Packs , and some of the key releases since Experience Manager 184.108.40.206 .
Style System enhancements
You can now select styles within the component dialog using the enhanced Style System.
Performance improvements in various areas
- Reduced the time for loading and initializing ContextHub within a site ( contexthub.kernel.js ). It results in faster page loads during a site visit.
- Reduced the time to refresh a page after dragging Experience Fragments to Sites Page Editor.
- Shortened the load time for entries on a Sites page with more than 200 live copies in Live Copy Overview .
- Improved handling of incomplete or invalid URLs. Such URLs can slow down the Template Editor.
Configure AEM Assets with Brand Portal
The authorization channel between AEM Assets and Brand Portal is changed. Earlier, Brand Portal was configured in Classic UI via Legacy OAuth Gateway, which uses the JWT token exchange to obtain an IMS Access token for authorization. AEM Assets is now configured with Brand Portal through Adobe I/O, which procures an IMS token for authorization of your Brand Portal tenant.
The steps to configure AEM Assets with Brand Portal are different depending on your AEM version, and whether you are configuring for the first-time, or upgrading the existing configurations. See Configure AEM Assets with Brand Portal for details.
- Brand Portal users are not able to publish contribution folder assets to AEM Assets on upgrading to Adobe I/O on AEM 6.5.4.
Experience Manager Assets includes the following accessibility enhancements:
- Arrow keys on keyboard can be used to move and pan areas within zoomed images. For more information, see preview assets using keyboard keys only .
- The mixed state checkboxes (in which unless you select all the nested predicates the first-level checkboxes are not selected and are stricken through) in Filters panel are readable by screen readers.
- Date and time format constraints are provided in field labels of date fields, to enable the users to enter the date in correct format using keyboard.For example, On Time (MM-DD-YYYY HH:mm) . Here MM is month in two-digit format, YYYY is year, DD is day in two-digit format, HH is hour in 24-hour military format, and mm is minute.
- The X symbol on the button to remove the currently selected tags are now announced by screen readers along with the number of selected tags.
Generate printable output in AEM Forms workflows
The Generate Printable Output workflow step enables you to integrate a source template file with a data file. This integration enables you to print or save different copies of the template file. The step generates a PCL, PostScript, ZPL, IPL, TPCL, or DPL output. For more information on this feature, see Forms-centric workflow on OSGi - Step Reference .
Multicolumn support for adaptive forms and interactive communications in Layout mode
You can now define the number of columns for a panel in adaptive forms and interactive communications. Switch to layout mode to use the new multicolumn option. For more information, see Use Layout mode to resize components .
AEM Inbox customizations
The new Admin Control option enables the administrators to:
- Customize header text and logo
- Control the display of navigation links available in the header
The Admin Control option is visible only to the members of the administrators or workflow-administrators group. For more information on this feature, see Your Inbox .
Rich text support in HTML5 forms
Convert a text field in an XFA form to a rich text field in an HTML5 form. For more information, see Designing form templates for HTML5 forms .
Experience Manager Forms includes the following accessibility enhancements:
- Screen readers announce checkboxes, links, Date Picker, and Date Input fields correctly in an adaptive form.
- Each page of an adaptive form now includes one title and one main landmark label.
Key features in previous AEM 6.5 Service Packs
Smart Imaging for Dynamic Media
Smart imaging uses each user's unique viewing characteristics to automatically serve the right images optimized for their experience, resulting in better performance and engagement. Smart imaging works with your existing image presets and uses intelligence at the last millisecond of delivery to further reduce image file size based on browser or network connection speed. See Smart Imaging .
Smart crop in video profiles for Dynamic Media (220.127.116.11)
Smart crop for video–an optional feature available in Video Profiles– is a tool that uses the power of artificial intelligence in Adobe Sensei to automatically detect and crop the focal point in any adaptive video or progressive video that you have uploaded, regardless of size. See About using smart crop in video profiles .
Visual search for AEM Assets (18.104.22.168)
Assets users can search visually similar images. AEM displays the smart tagged images from the DAM repository that are similar to a user-selected image. See Visual search .
Configure the out-of-office settings for Inbox items of an AEM Forms user (22.214.171.124)
If you plan to be out of the office, you can specify what happens to items that are assigned to you for that period. You have the option of specifying a start date and time and an end date and time for your out-of-office settings to be in effect. You can set a default person to whom all of your items are sent. See Configure Out of Office settings .
Generate multiple interactive communications using Batch API for AEM Forms (126.96.36.199)
You can use the Batch API to produce multiple interactive communications from a template. The template is an interactive communication without any data. The Batch API combines data with a template to produce an interactive communication. The API is useful in the mass production of interactive communications. For example, telephone bills, credit card statements for multiple customers. See Generate multiple interactive communications using Batch API .
Key releases since AEM 6.5 SP3
Between December 12, 2019 and March 5, 2020, Adobe released following capabilities that are outside of the core AEM deliverable:
- AEM Cloud Manager 2020.1.0 and 2020.2.0Improve the pipeline status and the ability to download logs for various steps. See:
- AEM Cloud Manager CLI updatesAutomate Cloud Manager tasks using the command-line tool. See GitHub .
- AEM Sites: Project Archetype 23The best way to start a new AEM project. Archetype 23 merges the Project Archetype for SPA and regular sites into one and provides a default theme to kick-start your front-end development.
- AEM Sites: WKND reference site
- AEM Sites: Commerce CIF Core Components 0.7.0 and 0.9.0Integrate AEM Sites with Magento Commerce. See extending dedicated Core Components and Project Archetype with focus on Commerce .
- AEM Assets: Desktop App 188.8.131.52
- AEM Screens: Feature Pack 202001Digital Signage directly from within AEM. Install the improvements with the latest Feature Pack to enable the synchronous playback across multiple media players .