AEM Foundation & Repository
List of changes
- The foundation of Adobe Experience Manager 6.5 build on top of updated versions of the OSGi-based framework (Apache Sling and Apache Felix) and the Java Content Repository: Apache Jackrabbit Oak 1.10.2.
- The new version of the Oak Segment Tar present since AEM 6.3 requires a repository migration. This step is mandatory if you are upgrading from an older version of TarMK or want to switch the new Segment Tar from another type of persistence. For more information on what the benefits of the new Segment Tar are, see the Migrating to Oak Segment Tar FAQ .
- New support for Java 11, as well as the already supported Java 8
- For optimal performance, override default GC values with other values. For more information, please see the Install & Update section.
- Java 11 and Java 8 maintenance updates will be distributed by Adobe for customer usage in AEM-related projects, when not publicly available from Oracle
- Added OSGi Promises and Converter utility libraries
Projects and Workflows
- New Workflow Model editor introduced in 6.4 has been improved to include more operations like Copy and Publish, Variable support in Workflow steps and enhanced OR and AND splits.
- Search in Oak now supports dynamic facets. For example the filter rail in assets search show the estimated amount of results.
- QueryBuilder was extended to provide results with dynamic facets
- Added Password expiry for admin user.
Various enhancements have been made to the UI to make it more productive and easier to use.
- AEM 6.5 introduces new Permissions Management UI for Users and Groups that makes it easier to view and configure the entire set of privileges and restrictions without the need to go to CRXDE.
- Column Views now also only loads entries that are visible on the screen and only loads more when the user is starting to scroll. List and Card view already did that since 6.0 (improved in 6.4)
- Column Views now include the workflow status for pages/assets when applicable
- The 'Select All' action is a quick way to execute an action with all pages/assets in the same folder
- The "Select All" action attempts to perform the action to all pages/assets, not just what has been loaded. A warning dialog will be shown if the action has not been upgrade to handle Bulk Actions
- Adobe does not plan to make further enhancements to the Classic UI. AEM 6.5 has the Classic UI included, and customers upgrading from earlier releases can keep using it as is. Note that Classic UI remains fully supported while being deprecated Read more .
- The upgrade procedure largely remains the same in 6.5.
- We continue to support the Backward Compatibility , Upgrade Complexity Assessment and Sustainable Upgrades features introduced in 6.4. There have been version specific updates made to these areas where needed.
- The Pattern Detector packaging has been simplified, and there will be one package assessing upgrades to 6.5 for the available source versions.
- Please see the Upgrade documentation for more details on upgrade procedure.
- The Quickstart distribution uses Eclipse Jetty 9.4.15 as servlet engine (AEM 6.4 shipped with 9.3.22)