Speed up the Brand Portal downloads
Brand Portal allows enhancing the download performance of large asset files by integrating with IBM Aspera Connect, which is an install-on-demand application. The application uses proprietary technology to remove TCP overheads and helps improve transfer speed of the asset files. This integration ensures enhanced download experience.
Download speed varies for users as it depends upon factors such as network bandwidth, server latency, and geographical location of clients.
If enabled, Brand Portal users can significantly reduce the time taken to download the desired asset files from Brand Portal or through Shared link by installing the Aspera Connect client.
Prerequisites to accelerate file download
To download the files faster, ensure the following:
- Enable Download Acceleration(which is disabled by default) from General Settings in the administrative tools panel.
- Install Aspera Connect using Administrator privileges.
Following are the download domains for different geographies:
Sample download performance using file accelerator
The following table shows download performance for 2 GB file using Aspera Connect file download accelerator:
The observed results do vary due to factors such as network bandwidth, server latency, and client location, considering Brand Portal server is at Oregon (United States).
Latency between client and server (milliseconds)
Speed with Aspera Connect File Transfer Accelerator (MBps)
Time taken to download 2 GB file with Aspera File Transfer Accelerator (seconds)
U.S. West (N. California)
U.S. West (Oregon)
U.S. East (N. Virginia)
Download workflow using file accelerator
To download assets faster from Brand Portal:
- Log in to Brand Portal using a supported browser.
- Browse and select the desired asset file, folder, or collection to download. Tap/ click download option. Download dialog appears with # option selected.The functionality to send email notification with the link to download assets is presently not supported while faster downloads are enabled.
- Tap/click theDownloadoption. To speed up the download experience on your Brand Portal tenant account, you need to have Aspera Connect client application installed on your system.
- Download Aspera Connect ClientIf Aspera Connect client is not installed on your system or the existing installed Aspera Connect client is out of date, a prompt is displayed on browser page from where you can download the system-specific Aspera Connect client by selectingDownload Latest Version.To download the latest version of Aspera Connect from https://downloads.asperasoft.com/connect2/ , selectDownload Nowand follow the instructions.
- Install Aspera Connect ClientTo install IBM Aspera Connect client setup, run the setup from .msi file of IBM Aspera Connect client application and follow the installation wizard.
- Once the client is successfully installed, either refresh the browser page and initiate the download steps again or selectRestartin assetDownloaddialog box (Step #2). When using Aspera Connect for the first time, the browser prompts to open the link usingIBM Aspera Connect. To skip this dialog in future, enableRemember my choice for FASP links.This message is different on the different browsers.
- A dialog box confirms whether to proceed the transfer or not. SelectAllowto begin. To skip this dialog in future, enableUse my choice for all connections with this host. Download begins. A dialog box shows the progress of the download. Use the dialog box topause,resume, orcancelthe download. Aspera Connect application provides an Activity Window on the system where user can view and manage all transfer sessions. For more information, refer Aspera Connect Client documentation .
On successful completion of the download, a dialog box shows the location where assets are downloaded onto the user's system. If there is a failure, it shows error.
There is a known limitation in Aspera Connect client application that no prompt to select download location appears if
Always ask me where to save downloaded filesis enabled under the tab Transfers within Preferences. Before any download begins, provide the location in the text box
Save downloaded files to.
Using file accelerator on Microsoft Edge browser
Microsoft Edge runs in Enhanced Protected Mode (EPM) preventing communication with the Aspera Connect server, while on same private network or with a Trusted Site. Therefore, a pop- up shows up every time a connection with the server is being established.
To use accelerated download functionality on Microsoft Edge, remove the Brand Portal site from the trusted site list.
- Open the Control Panel (pressWindow key + X, then selectControl Panel).
- Go toNetwork and Internet > Internet Options. Click theSecuritytab.
- Click theTrusted sites zone, then clickSites.
- Remove Brand Portal site from the list.
Aspera Connect client Preferences
There are a few useful preferences which can be set in IBM Aspera Connect Client preference by right clicking the icon and selecting
You can set the default download location.
Also, the Aspera Connect client can be marked to automatically start on system startup so that the connect client is running and available for the download to begin faster.
Troubleshoot issues with download acceleration
If download acceleration is not working for you, follow these steps to troubleshoot:
- Check that ports are not blocked, by visiting https://test-connect.asperasoft.com from your machine.If ports are not OK, then reach out to your network team and ensure that Ports 33001 (both TCP & UDP) are not blocked in the firewall.
- If the ports are OK then check if your network is not slow, by measuring the available bandwidth using https://www.speedtest.net/ .If the bandwidth is a few (1-10 Mbps) or in Kbps, then use Aspera Preferences and try to limit the bandwidth equal to the available bandwidth.
- If none of the above troubleshooting steps work, deselect the option Enable Download Acceleration and use the normal download.