Working with AEM Screens Player
You can manage the channel content and other settings on the AEM Screens Player.
Press Ctrl+Cmd+F to exit fullscreen mode for OS X AEM Screens Player.
Once you assign a channel to a display, the AEM Screens Player displays the content. You can either configure settings for your player using the preferences for admin UI (from the dashboard) or from the player itself.
Using the Device Dashboard
You can configure preferences for your device from the Device Dashboard, accessible via your AEM authoring instance.
- Navigate to the device dashboard from your project, for example, Test Project --> Devices .Select Devices and Device Manager from the action bar.
- Click on the device to open the device dashboard.
- Check the PREFERENCES panel. You can enable/disable the Admin UI and Channel Switcher for your player from these two options.
The Admin UI
Enabling the Admin UI from the preferences panel allows the user to open the admin settings from the Screens Player. Additionally, if you disable this option from the device dashboard, the user cannot open the admin UI from the player.
To view the admin UI from the Screens player, long press on the top left corner to open the Admin menu, on your touch enabled AEM Screens player, or by using a mouse. It shows information after registration is complete and the channels are loaded.
Additionally, you can view the AEM Screens Player app uptime to check app health status.
Accessing the Configuration Menu Options
You can update your configurations, if you select the Configuration option from the side menu, as shown in the figure below:
The Configuration menu allows you to modify the following settings:
- Reset Firmware , Preferences , or To Factory from this dialog box.
- Specify the number of maximum log files to keep for an AEM Screens player in Max No. of log files to keep .
- Enable or disable Admin Menu , Channel Switcher , and Activity UI for the Screens player.If the Activity UI is enabled from the Configuration menu, the AEM Screens player displays the player activity notifications in the top right-hand corner of the player, as shown in the figure below.
The Update Firmware option only works on the cordova, such as Android players.
It is recommended that the Admin UI be disabled in Production Deployments.
Accessing the Content Cache Menu Options
You can clear cache for channels and applications from the Admin UI in AEM Screens player.
Select the Content Cache from the side rail to update the cache.
The Channel Switcher
Enabling the Channel Switcher from the preferences panel allows the user to open the channel selection/settings from the Screens Player.
Additionally, if you disable this option from the device dashboard, the user cannot control channel preferences from the Screens Player.
You can switch and control settings for your channel from your Screens Player.
To view the channel switcher from the player, long press on the lower left corner to open the channel switcher that allows switching channels and other features.
You can also enable or disable the admin menu and the channel switcher for the player from the Screens player.
(See Change Preferences from Screens Player as mentioned in the section below).
Managing Preferences from the AEM Screens Player
You can also change the settings for admin UI and channel switcher from the player itself.
Follow these steps to change preferences from your Player:
- Long-press on the top left corner on the idle channel to open the admin panel.
- Navigate to Configuration from the left action menu.
- Enable/disable configuration for Admin UI or Channel Switcher .
Troubleshooting AEM Screens Player
You can troubleshoot various issues associated with the AEM Screens Player (hardware and software):
Player storage is full
Eliminate unnecessary files
Player lost network
Use Cat-5/Cat-6 cable. For wifi, reduce the distance from the router to the player device
AEM Screens Player crashed
It is recommended to have a watchdog app that makes sure the AEM Screens Player always runs
AEM Screens Player lost settings
Check connection to AEM server
AEM Screens Player does not auto-start after Player restart/reboot
Check OS start folder or initialization procedure
AEM Screens Player shows wrong/old content
Check network connection
Updates for AEM Screens Player
There are two types of updates for the AEM Screens Player:
Applied on existing installed Players via remote command. After the update the Player will auto-reload with the existing content.
Almost - 1-3 seconds
Player Shell Updates
This is a new executable to be deployed on the Player. This requires to remote copy new binary on the player and stop the currently running and start the new version. This might require re-download the pre-load of the packages.
Yes (via remote shell)
Hardware Selection Guidelines for Player Device
The following section provides the hardware selection guidelines for a Screens Project:
- Always source Commercial or Industrial Grade components for both PC player and Display Panel or Projector.
- Always engage with vendors who serve the digital signage market.
- Always consider environmental factors such as ambient temperature and relative humidity.
- Always review power requirements and power conditioning.
- Carefully review performance needs and I/O ports required for application.
The following table summarizes the hardware configurations with typical use cases for an AEM Screens project:
|Player Configuration||Processor||Memory||Storage SSD||GPU||Display||I/O||Typical Use Cases|
|Basic||Dual Core, i3 or entry-level quad core Intel® Atom Processor|
4GB of memory
2MB of cache
•ChromeOS 32 GB
|OnBoard||1920 x 1080||DVI, Ethernet / Wireless, 2xUSB|
|Standard||Quad Core, Intel® Core i5 processor|
8GB of memory
4MB of cache
|128 GBB||OnBoard||3840x2160 (4K)||DVI, HDMI Ethernet / Wireless, 2xUSB|
|Advanced||Quad Core with hyperthreading, Intel® Core i7 processor|
16GB of memory
8MB of cache
|256 GB||Dedicated Graphics GPU||3840x2160 (4K)||DVI, HDMI Ethernet / Wireless, 4xUSB|