Enclosed Corporate Network (Wired/Wireless)
The Enclosed Corporate Network SetUp is applicable to smaller, larger and enterprise businesses. It can be theoretically more complex, and the logical Setup is shown in the figure below.
Connecting AEM Screens Player to Direct Internet Access
Follow the steps below to ensure proper connection of the AEM Screen players in this configuration:
- Make sure that each of the AEM Screen players is connected to the Routers Network.
- Test the internet connection by calling an URL in your systems browser.In case that you receive an error, check the network settings.There are basically two options for a proper network connection:
- Manual IP Configuration
- Make sure that the Network Adapter Setting does match your Router Settings and check if the maximum amount of available IP addresses in your network is not reached.
- Check if the Router is properly connected to the ISP Wide Area Network (Internet Link). This can also be identified using a Signal LED on Standard Routers.
- In case the URL call is successful, you can continue installing the AEM Screens and register. Start AEM Screens.Troubleshooting Tip If AEM Screens does not connect properly and the expected content is not displayed:
- Check in your Internet Router firewall if there are any restrictions regarding TCP/IP Port 80/443 .
- Make sure that all required Ports are allowed.
Setting Up Enclosed Corporate Networks
The Enclosed Corporate Network Setup an be logically separated in two blocks:
- Wide Area Network (WAN)
- Internal Local Area Network (LAN).
Wide Area Network
The performance of the Internet connection besides the network reachability, is to provide sufficient bandwidth to operate AEM Screens nice and smoothly. Sufficient bandwidth depends on the amount of connected AEM screens and on the usage of other consumers within the network, such as smartphones, tablets, cashiers, computers or guest Wi-Fi Networks.
All of the devices have a concurrent access to the internet connection and bandwidth linearly decreases when you add more consumers or computers to the network.
Local Area Network
The performance of the Local Area Network (LAN) has, besides the network reachability, is to provide sufficient bandwidth to operate AEM Screens smoothly.
The LAN network within corporate organizations is usually at least 1000 MBit/sec network, so that there is sufficient bandwidth to connect many devices with good performance to the system. While using other active Network components it is mandatory that all of those do match to the Network bandwidth requirements.
For example,the Network components should at least match 1000 Mbps standard and match the bandwidth provided by the Internet access/router specification.
Other Corporate Networks Specifics
Corporate Networks have a number of devices connected, are separated into various sub-networks and have redundant or multiplexed Internet connections to provide sufficient performance for many thousand concurrent accesses. This schema is simplified and fits most cases to the environments available for the client.
In case that a Wi-Fi solution is envisaged to connect Screens to the Internet Link it is recommended to use modern Wi-Fi standards like IEEE 802.11g as a minimum. This Standard supports connections up to 54 Mbps. Any newer Standards like 802.11h-n are of better quality. If a Wi-Fi Repeater is required we do strongly recommend Mesh Wi-Fi access point technologies like Google Nest Mesh Wi-Fi or similar. Other Wi-Fi repeating technologies end up in a massive loss of bandwidth in the overall network.
Downloading Media and Assets
AEM Screens provides a big advantage to Digital Signage Users. It downloads and locally saves all necessary media files, such as images and videos. The major network traffic occurs when there is new content to be displayed on a specific display.
For normal operations, for example, a defined playlist that updates frequently during the day - offers a close to network independent operation, once all the files have been saved on the player.
For scenarios, where there are more interactions with sensors or triggers and dynamic content, a fast and reliable network connection is essential for an immediate screen reaction to ensure best possible customer experience.
The following table provides an overview on network connectivity key data.
The information allows you to view the consumption of each device in the network requesting and downloading an Internet source. Each of those requests add up and extend the Download Time.