Adobe Experience Platform Location Service overview
Location is an important context for understanding and engaging with mobile users. By using this context, mobile app developers can enhance the app design and make it a more personalized and engaging experience.
Adobe Experience Platform Location Service (Location Service) is a geo-location service that enables mobile apps with location awareness to understand the location context by using rich and easy-to-use SDK interfaces accompanied by a flexible database of points of interests (POIs).
Location Service allows you to achieve the following:
- Create and manage a database of POIs that can be leveraged with other Adobe Experience Cloud solutions.
- Attach custom metadata to the POIs to make them richer and more meaningful by specifying additional attributes.
- Visualize the POIs on a map to easily understand the spatial context and add/edit metadata attributes.
- Configure the SDK in Adobe Experience Platform Launch to define your location-triggered rules and metadata based conditions.
- Reduce the code that you need to write to monitor a device's location and use the Places extension to automatically trigger the location-specific rules.
This will allow you to take actions from location signals in real time, when and where it matters. The right context provides a more enriching mobile engagement experience.
Here are some of the ways you can use Places:
- Send a real time notification when someone enters a POI, "Hey..welcome to the stadium."
- Analyze foot traffic of your own stores versus your competitor stores.
- Segment an audience based on offline behavior by using audience profiles with location context.
- Target a user with an in-store experience when relevant.
Location Service components
Location Service comprises the following components:
- Web service
- POI Management interfaceVisualize POIs on a map to understand the spatial context and to add/edit POIs and their custom metadata.
- Places extensionThe multi-platform mobile API interface to integrate the location context in your mobile apps. For more information about the SDKs, see Places extension .
- Launch rulesThe geo-intelligent Launch rules that enable you to trigger actions with entry and exit events. The rules also allow you to use geo-attributes in conditions to personalize the experience.
- Places Monitor extensionThe multi-platform mobile SDK which can be embedded in your mobile app to automatically monitor your user's location changes and trigger Places rules. For more information, see Places Monitor extension .
Here are some common terms that are used in this documentation:
- A point of interest (POI) is a geo-location that is of interest to your organization.You can define POIs with attributes such as a name, radius, address, category, and metadata tags.
- A geofence is a type of POI.This POI type is a virtual geographic boundary that is defined by latitude and longitude coordinates.
- A beacon is a type of POI.This POI type is a physical device that represents a location by emitting a low power bluetooth signal. Beacons support is coming in a future release.
- A library is a collection of POIs, which are grouped to easily attach rules to a set instead of one POI.
- An extension is the Experience Platform Launch extension that is required to integrate the Places SDK in your mobile apps.The extension used with the other mobile SDKs to add location context to your experiences.
- An organization is the Adobe entity that identifies your company in the Adobe Experience Cloud.Typically, an organization is your company name. However, a company can have more than one organization. The organization administrator can configure groups and users and configure single sign-on functionality.
- The orgID is the ID that represents your organization across Adobe Experience Platform.For more information, see Finding your orgID .
- The Experience Cloud ID service provides a universal, persistent ID that identifies your visitors across all the solutions in the Experience Cloud.For more information, see Overview .