VPAID 2.0 ad support
Video Player Ad-Serving Interface Definition (VPAID) 2.0 provides a common interface to play video ads. It provides a rich media experience for users and allows publishers to better target ads, track ad impressions, and monetize video content.
The following features are supported:
- Version 2.0 of the VPAID specificationFor more information, refer to IAB VPAID 2.0 .
- Linear VPAID ads on video-on-demand (VOD) content
The following features are not supported:
- Version 1.0 of the VPAID specification
- Skippable ads
- Nonlinear ads such as overlay ads, dynamic companion ads, minimizable ads, collapsible ads, and expandable ads
- Preloading VPAID ads
- VPAID ads in live content
- Flash VPAID ads
The following changes were made to the API:
- A getCustomAdView function has been added in MediaPlayer and returns the web view that renders the VPAID ad.For more information about the CustomAdView object that is returned by this function, see API References .
- A CUSTOM_AD event is dispatched from the media player instance.The application can register an event callback by implementing CustomAdEventListener .
- MediaPlayer.setCustomAdTimeout(int milliseconds) allows you to change the default timeout on the VPAID loading process.The default timeout value is 10 seconds.
While the VPAID ad is playing:
- The VPAID ad is displayed in a view container above the player view, so the code that relies on taps by users on the player view does not work.
- The main content player is paused, and calls to pause and play on the player instance are used to pause and resume the VPAID ad.
- VPAID ads do not have a predefined duration, because the ad can be interactive.The ad duration and total ad break duration that are defined by the ad server response might not be accurate.
Implement VPAID 2.0 integration
To add VPAID 2.0 support, add a custom ad view and appropriate listeners.
To add VPAID 2.0 support:
- Add the custom ad view to the player interface.
- Add a listener for custom ad events.