Custom parameters are mbox parameters. If you pass any mbox parameters to mboxes, or use the targetPageParams function, those parameters appear here for use in audiences.
For more information, see Pass parameters to a global mbox .
When creating a custom audience based on an mbox parameter, mboxParameter no longer prompts you for mboxName . mbox name is now optional. This change lets you use parameters from multiple mboxes or reference a parameter that has not yet been recorded on the edge.
- In the Target interface, click Audiences > Create Audience .
- Name the audience.
- Click Add Rule > Custom .To select the desired parameter:
Using either method, there is no link between the mbox and the parameter. The audience will work on the basis of parameter across all mboxes that pass that parameter.If you edit an existing audience, the filtering criteria displays with the mbox name that was supplied during creation.
- While creating a new audience, select a parameter name from the list, start typing the first characters of the desired parameter name, or type the full name of the desired parameter name.
- If you remember the mbox name, but not the parameter name, use the checkbox to filter on a known mbox passing the desired parameter.
- Choose an evaluator:
- Contains (case insensitive)
- Does not contain (case insensitive)
- Enter each value in a new line.
- (Optional) Click Add Rule and set up additional rules for the audience.
- Click Save .
The audience's definition details pop-up card shows the parameter name in the Rules section. There is no reference to the mbox used for filtering.
For custom audiences created before the Target 18.5.1 release (May, 22, 2018), mbox names will not display in the audience's definition pop-up card. You must re-save the custom audience to get the mbox name to be shown in the card.
- Audiences and activities are evaluated for a specific mbox. For example, if the global mbox passes a certain parameter, but the regional mbox does not, the activity/audience targeting that parameter will not be qualified for on the regional mbox.
- Targeting is not evaluated on internal mbox parameters, such as mboxPC, mboxSession, mbox3rdPartyId, mboxCount, mboxId, and mboxVersion.
Training video: Creating Audiences
This video includes information about using audience categories.
- Create audiences
- Define audience categories