Upload custom criteria
Upload a CSV file to customize your recommendations.
There are multiple ways to reach the Create New Criteria screen. Some screen options vary depending on how you reach the screen.
- When you are creating a Recommendations activity, click Create New on the Select Criteria screen. You will have the option to save your new criteria for use with other Recommendations activities.
- When you are editing a Recommendations activity, click in a Recommendations Location box on your page, and select Change Criteria . On the Select Criteria screen, click Create New . You will have the option to save your new criteria for use with other Recommendations activities.
- On the Recommendations > Criteria library screen, click Create Criteria . Criteria you create here are automatically made available for all Recommendations activities.
- Click Create Criteria .
- Select Upload Custom Criteria .
- Type a Criteria Name .This is the "internal" name used to describe the criteria. For example, you might want to call your criteria "Highest margin products," but you don't want that title to display publicly. See the next step to set the public-facing title.
- Type a public-facing Display Title to appear on the page for any recommendations that use this criteria.For example, you might want to display "People who viewed this viewed that" or "Similar products" when you use this criteria to show recommendations.
- Type a short Description of the criteria.The description should help you identify the criteria, and might include information about the purpose of the criteria.
- Select an Industry Vertical .Other criteria options might change depending on the industry vertical you select.
- Select a Page Type .You can select multiple page types.Together, the industry vertical and page types are used to categorize your saved criteria, making it easier to reuse criteria for other Recommendations activities.
- Select a Recommendation Key .For more information about basing criteria on a key, see Base the Recommendation on a Recommendation Key .
- Set your Content rules.Content rules determine what happens if the number of recommended items does not fill your design. For example, if your design has space for five items, but your criteria causes only three items to be recommended, you can leave the remaining space empty, or you can use backup recommendations to fill the extra space. Select the appropriate toggles. See Content Settings .
- Set your Inclusion Rules .Inclusion rules help you narrow the items that display in your recommendations. See Inclusion Rules . 1. Select the Location of your CSV file.The CSV file must be formatted correctly to upload successfully. Click Download the CSV template to get a correctly formatted CSV file.You have two location options:
- FTP: To upload your CSV file from an FTP server, select FTP , then enter the required information. You have the option to use SSL, which uses the FTPS protocol to transfer your CSV file securely.
- URL: To upload your CSV file from a URL, select URL , then and enter a feed URL.
- Click Save .Custom criteria entities (rows) can contain up to 1,000 recommended items (columns).
Custom criteria updates are by default "cumulative." New key-value pairs specified in the CSV upload file overwrite existing key-value pairs. Existing key-value pairs that don't have keys specified in the CSV upload will still be available for delivery and will expire in 31 days from the time they are last uploaded as part of the CSV file.
Contact Client Care to enable the setting to discard the existing results that aren't included in the next CSV upload. If this setting is enabled, only the keys present in the custom CSV feed file will be available for delivery. This setting applies to all custom criteria.
Custom criteria feeds update once every 24 hours.
You can see the upload and sync status of your custom criteria upload at the bottom of each criteria card on the Recommendations > Criteria page. You can also see the status in the Edit dialog box when editing custom criteria.
The flow for an error-free upload should be Scheduled > Downloading Feed File > Importing > Successful.
The following are possible error messages you might receive if Target encounters a problem with the upload:
Indicates an internal technical error.
There is likely an issue with the feed file format. Correct the file format and re-save the algorithm, which will re-start the file download process.
Server Not Found
Provide an IP or Host Name that is visible on the internet.
Provide a valid user and password for an active account on the server.
Directory Not Found
Provide a directory that exists on the server.
File Not Found
Provide the name of a file that exists on the server in the directory indicated.
Training video: Create criteria in Recommendations (12:33)
This video contains the following information:
- Create criteria
- Create criteria sequences
- Upload custom criteria