Workflow C - Personalization Based on Authenticated Activity Combined with Offline Data
This article contains product documentation meant to guide you through the setup and usage of this feature. Nothing contained herein is legal advice. Please consult your own legal counsel for legal guidance.
This page includes step-by-step guidance on how to combine offline CRM data with real-time behavioral data for authenticated users to create audience segments, then send these audience segments to People-Based Destinations.
Step 1 - Configure Data Source Settings
Depending on whether your DPUUIDs are lowercase, hashed email addresses, you might need to configure the data source that will store the hashed email addresses.
Scenario 1: your DPUUIDs are already lowercase, hashed email addresses.
In this case, skip to Step 5 - Configure People-Based Platform Authentication .
Scenario 2: your DPUUIDs are not lowercase, hashed email addresses.
In this case, you need to create a new cross-device data source that will store your hashed email addresses. Here's how to do this:
- Log in to your Audience Manager account and go to Audience Data -> Data Sources , and click Add New .
- Enter a Name and Description for your new data source.
- In the ID Type drop-down menu, select Cross Device .
- In the Data Source Settings section, select both the Inbound and Outbound options, and enable the Share associated cross-device IDs in people-based destinations option.
- Use the drop-down menu to select the Emails(SHA256, lowercased) label for this data source.This option only labels the data source as containing data hashed with that specific algorithm. Audience Manager does not hash the data at this step. Make sure the email addresses that you plan on storing in this data source are already hashed with the SHA256 algorithm. Otherwise, you won't be able to use it for People-Based Destinations.See Data Onboarding for frequently asked questions about how you should bring your offline data into Audience Manager for People-Based Destinations.
Watch the video below for a video tutorial of how to create a data source for People-Based Destinations.
Step 2 - Use Declared IDs to Match DPUUIDs to Hashed Email Addresses via Real Time HTTP Calls
To qualify authenticated users for rule-based traits, you need to send the trait qualification through declared IDs .
Let's say you have created the following two data sources.
Data source ID
Data source contents
Existing DPUUIDs (CRM IDs)
Hashed email addresses
Then, you want to qualify the CRM IDs below for the trait in the table.
DPUUID (CRM ID)
Hashed email address
location = US
Your declared ID should follow this syntax:
In the example above, the declared ID call should look like this:
Step 3 - Create a Profile Merge Rule for Segmentation
The next step is creating a new merge rule that will help you create the audience segments to send to your People-Based Destinations.
If you already have a rule defined with the Current Authenticated Profiles or Last Authenticated Profiles options, you can skip to Step 4 - Create Audience Segments .
- Log in to your Audience Manager account and go to Audience Data -> Profile Merge Rules .
- Click Add New Rule .
- Enter a profile merge rule Name and Description .
- In the Profile Merge Rule Setup section, select the Current Authenticated Profiles or Last Authenticated Profiles rule from the Cross-Device Options list.
- In the Cross-Device Profile Options list, select the data sources that you want to run the segmentation on. These should be the data sources containing your existing DPUUIDs.
Step 4 - Create Audience Segments
To create new segments, use the Segment Builder . If you have existing audience segments that you want to send to People-Based Destinations, skip to Step 5 - Configure People-Based Platform Authentication .
Step 5 - Configure People-Based Platform Authentication
- Log in to your Audience Manager account and go to Administration > Integrated Accounts . If you have a previously configured integration with a social platform, you should see it listed in this page. Otherwise, the page is empty.
- Click Add Account .
- Use the People-Based Platform drop-down menu to select the platform that you want to configure the integration with.
- Click Confirm to be redirected to the authentication page of the selected platform.
- Once you've authenticated to your social platform account, you are redirected to Audience Manager where you should see your associated advertiser accounts. Select the advertiser account that you want to use and click Confirm .
- Audience Manager displays a notification at the top of the page to let you know whether the account was successfully added. The notification also allows you to add a contact email address to receive notifications when the social platform authentication is about to expire.
Audience Manager handles the integration with social platforms through authentication tokens that expire after a certain amount of time. See Authentication Token Renewal for details on how to renew the expired tokens.
Step 6 - Create a People-Based Destination
- Log in to your Audience Manager account, go to Audience Data > Destinations , and click Create Destination .
- In the Basic Information section, enter a Name and Description for your new data source, and use the following settings:
- Category : Integrated Platforms;
- Type : People-Based;
- Platform : select the people-based platform that you want to send audience segments to;
- Account : select the desired advertiser account associated with the selected platform.
- Click Next .
- Choose the Data Export Labels that you want to set for this destination.
- In the Configuration section, select the data source that contains your hashed data sources.
- In the Segment Mappings section, select the segments that you want to send to this destination. This would be the segments that you created at Step 4 - Create Audience Segments .
- Save the destination.