Basics of a Digital Signage Project
Before diving into AEM Screens implementation best practices, it is important to think of the project as a digital signage project, instead of a traditional software development.
This section provides recommendations on major key elements that are critical before an AEM Screens project implementation.
Key Elements in Digital Signage
The Key Elements in a digital signage project are:
Defining the key elements is essential before implementing a digital signage project:
- HardwareHardware defines what hardware components are ideal for your digital signage project implementation:
- Does the device have enough storage space to run all variations of the experiences offline?
- Have we allowed for video cable type and length? And does the device support both the desired resolutions (HD, FullHD, 4K, etc.) and video codecs I'm planning to deploy (h.264, h.265, etc.)
- Usage of physical copper wire
- Size of screens
- Number of screens
- aspect ratio
- resolution preference
- ConnectivityConnectivity emphasizes on the following questions:
- Networked (cell or wi-fi) or standalone?
- do we need to allow for USB content updates?
- do we need to allow for usage data collection?
- InstallationInstallation includes:
- Displays: landscape or portrait
- How will the screen be mounted?
- Portrait vs. landscape
- Full housing
- Cover plate
- Fixture support
- Personnel: responsible for installing the equipment and connecting it to the network
- How far away is the power source from the fixture?
- How far away is the physical panel from the actual device?
- ContentContent includes:
- Single zone or Multi-zone?
- How many media assets are on the screen at the same time?
- How many pages for interactive applications?
- Define the UI Loop
- Data Driven content?
- Version Control
- InteractiveInteractive includes:
- Preferred touchscreen type?(resistive, capacitive, multi-touch)?
- Button press
- Data triggering (I/O)?
- Sending/Receiving serial commands (contact closure, PLC, etc.)
- Incoming data goes on the screen (RSS) or triggers content
- External services (weather, traffice, etc.)
- EnvironmentEnvironment emphasizes on:
- Display location?
- Inside vs. Outside
- Out-of-reach or directly exposed
- Special temp requirement?
- Vandal proof?
- High ambient light? Strong contrasts?
- MaintenanceMaintenance emphasizes on:
- Are detailed installation guides/user guides required?
- Are we configuring (programming) the device prior to shipment?
- Do we need to capture each serial number for tracking purposes?
- Are there any back-up power requirements (uninterruptable power supply)?
- How are system updates deployed? And how are devices monitored remotely? Is an MDM solution required?