The following page describes how to use Command Sync. Command Sync allows synchronized playback across different players. The players can play different content but each asset needs to have the same duration.
Digital signage solutions need to support video walls and synchronized playback to support scenarios like New Year countdowns or large video sliced up to play across multiple screens and this is where Command Sync comes into play.
To use Command Sync, one player acts as a master and sends command and all the other players act as clients and play when they receive the command.
The master sends a command to all registered clients when it is about to start playback of an item. The payload of this can be the index of the item to be played and/or the outer html of the element to be played.
Implementing Command Sync
The following section describes how you can use Command Sync in an AEM Screens project.
Setting up the Project
Before you use Command Sync feature, make sure you have a project and a channel with content set up for your project.
- The following example showcases a demo project named CommandSyncDemo and a sequence channel ChannelLobby .To learn how to create a channel or add content to a channel, refer to Creating and Managing ChannelsThe channel contains the following content, as shown in the figure below.
- Create a display in the Locations folder, as shown in the figure below.
- Assign the channel, ChannelLobby to your LobbyDisplay .To learn how to assign a channel to a display, refer to Creating and Managing Displays .
- Navigate to Devices folder and click Device Manager from the action bar to register the devices.To learn how to assign a channel to a display, refer to Creating and Managing Displays
- For demo purposes, this example showcases a chrome device and a windows player as two separate devices. Both the devices point to the same display.
Updating Channel Settings
- Navigate to ChannelLobby and click Edit from the action bar to update the channel settings.
- Select the entire channel as shown in the figure below.
- Click the wrench icon to open the Page dialog box.
- Enter the synced keyword in the Strategy field.
Setting up a master
- Navigate to the display dashboard from CommandSyncDemo --> Locations --> Lobby --> LobbyDisplay and click on Dashboard from the action bar. You will see the two devices (chrome and windows player) in DEVICES panel, as shown in the figure below.
- From the DEVICES panel,select the device you want to set as master. The following example demonstrates setting up the Chrome device as the master. Click on Set as master device .
- Enter the IP address in Set as master device and click on Save .
Syncing up with Master
- Once you have set the Chrome device as master, you can sync the other device (in this case, the windows player) to sync with the master. Select the other device (in this case, windows player) from the DEVICES panel and click on Sync to master device , as shown in the figure below.
- Select the device from the list and click Save .
- Once the device (Windows player) is synced to the master (Chrome player), you will see the device synced in the DEVICES panel.
De-Syncing with the Master
Once you have synced a device or devices to a master, you can de-sync the assignment from that device.
In order to remove the syncing from the master device, follow the steps below:
- Navigate to the DEVICES panel and select the device.
- Click on Desync device(s) to de-sync the client from the master device.
- Click Confirm to de-sync the selected device from the master.