MSM is a configurable framework for automating content deployment. Implementations often involve major portions of a website and span organizations and geographies. It is therefore highly recommended to plan MSM implementations as carefully as you plan your website:
- Carefully plan structure and content flows before starting implementation.
- Customize as much as necessary, but as little as possible. While MSM supports a high degree of customization (e.g. rollout configurations) typically the best practice for the performance, reliability and upgradeability of your website is to minimize customization.
- Establish a governance model early, and train users accordingly, to ensure success. A best practice from a governance point of view is to minimize the authority that local content producers have to allocate/connect content to other local users and their respective live copies. This is because un-governed, chained inheritances can significantly increase the complexity of a MSM structure and compromise its performance and reliability.
- Once a plan exists for your structure, content flows, automation and governance - prototype and thoroughly test your system, before starting live implementation.
- Keep in mind that Adobe Consulting and leading System Integrators have deep experience planning and implementing content automation with MSM, so they can help you both get started with your MSM project and throughout its entire implementation.