Create a data element
Create a data element in Dynamic Tag Management.
- Create Web Property , if you haven't done so already.
- In the web property, click Rules > Data Elements .
- Click Create New Data Element .
- Complete the following fields and options:
Option Description NameThe data element friendly name that a marketer can recognize. For example, Product ID .Note: The name is referenced by the rules builder, not an ID. If you change the name of the Data Element , you must change its reference in every rule that uses it. TypeSpecifies where the data is pulled from, such as JS Object, CSS Selector, Cookie, URL Parameter, or Custom Script.Depending on which type you select, different options display. See Types of Data Elements in the Dynamic Tag Management Product Documentation for more information and examples. Default ValueA default element. This value ensures that the data element always has a value, even if a URL parameter does not exist or cannot be found by Dynamic Tag Management.Note: If there is no value and no default value, then nothing is returned. Any variable referencing that data element won't get set. Note also that the default value field is ignored if it's a "custom code" data element. Force lowercase valueDynamic Tag Management automatically makes the value lowercased. Remember this value forHow long you want Dynamic Tag Management to remember this value.Valid values include:
See Data Elements in the Adobe Tag Management Product Documentation for more information about how to use data elements.
- Session: Session-based timing can vary depending on the implementation. Session data elements are set to the session cookie. However, this setting could be based on a web server or the browser. It is not related to the session used in marketing reports & analytics.
- Click Save Data Element .